Chinese Scallions pancake also known as green onion pancake or Congyoubing is one of the famous and traditional Chinese street foods and is ideal for Chinese breakfast. Those crispy and aroma pancakes are available all around China. Making your own scallion pancake at home is easy and enjoyable.
I know that many Chinese restaurants in the world providing this lovely pancake. However, making some at home is a nice experience. Only with simple and everyday ingredients, we can make our own scallion pancakes.
Making suitable dough is the key process for yummy scallion pancake at home. The dough for making scallion pancakes should be softer than the dough for pizza. And the water used for making the dough should be hot water with a temperature over 80℃.
Here comes a closer look of the inner texture.
This version does not require any dips but you can use some soy sauce, chili sauce or vinegar if you like.
Want to have a try? Let’s begin.
In order to make an even salty taste, I firstly melt the salt in the hot water. Then we make a dough with boiling water, set it aside for around 10 minutes.
Roll out the dough into a large round cylinder.
Brush some cooking oil on the surface of the circle.
Sprinkle chopped scallions evenly on the surface. And also some five-spicy powder or sichuan peppercorn powder.
Roll the cylinder into a shape of snail.
Roll out the snail again into another big circle.
Please note that the amount listed in this recipe is for one large pancake servers at 2. Please adjust the amount accordingly.
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 150g hot water (20ml more if needed,see note 1)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 scallion thinly chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon five spice powders
- Dissolve salt in hot water.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl. Stir water slowly to flour. And wait to cool down and then knead to get smooth dough. Continue kneading around 3~5 minutes. Place the dough aside to rest for at least 10 minutes to 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough for around 2 minutes and roll out to a large circle.
- Brush some cooking oil on the surface circle and then sprinkle chopped scallions and five spicy powders.
- Roll up the circle into a cylinder. And further roll into the shape of a snail. Roll the snail out to another thin circle.
- Brush some cooking oil on the pan and move the circle into the pan. Use middle fire to pan-fry until the surface becomes brown around 2-3 minutes. And turn over to fry for another 1 to 2 minutes. Use a spatula to press the circle from time and time especially the central part to ensure the circle is evenly fried.
- Remove the circle out and cut into wedges.
If you need to add the amount, during the process of making the circle, do cover the rest of dough with a wet cloth so that the dough will not be too dry.