Traditional and easy zucchini and green onion pancake is one of the best choice for a quick breakfast.
So several days ago, when I visit a Beijing style restaurant where excellent Zhajiang Noodles were sold, I encountered with this old fashioned zucchini pancakes. They were served along with garlic and vinegar sauce. I just cannot stop loving this combination. So I made this for the breakfast of the following day.
This kind of pancake with some shredded vegetables for example zucchini or potatoes and green onions, eggs and flour is named as “Hutazi” in Chinese which literally mean pancakes. Summer is a great time for zucchini, right.
In Chinese language, zucchini is named as western calabash but is has become one of the most popular daily ingredients now. Another representative should be broccoli. I have not seen it around 10 years back or so. But it has swept across the whole country.
Wash the zucchini and shred with a tool. Make sure that they are similar in size.Add chopped green onion, eggs, sesame oil, salt and Chinese five spice powder in. Mix well.
Add around 1 cup of all-purpose flour in. Mix in one direction until there is no dry flour left any more. Set aside for around 15 minutes.
Zucchini Pancakes Chinese Style
- 1 pound fresh shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 green onions , finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil for frying the pancakes
- 1 garlic clove , smashed
- 2 teaspoons black rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Wash the zucchini and shred with a tool. Make sure that they are similar in size.
- Add chopped green onion, eggs, sesame oil, salt and Chinese five spicy powder in. Mix well.
- Add around 1 cup of all-purpose flour in. Mix in one direction until there is no dry flour left any more. Set aside for around 15 minutes.
- Brush some oil on the surface of your pan. Heat it up. Scoop some mixture to the pan to fry until golden brown.
- Transfer out and serve directly or with the dip.
If you love Chinese style pancake for breakfast, there is another recipe you may want to try—Chinese scallion pancake.