Traditional Chinese meat pie(Xianbing) with beef and scallion!
Traditional Chinese meat pie provides a crispy wrapper and savory filling. There are in fact many types of meat pie popular across the country. The fillings differ from one house to another. You can use pork, lamb, beef etc. The recipe Elaine shared today is beef and scallion meat pie.
Mix around 2 cups of all-purpose flour with pinch of salt in a large bowl. Swirl the hot water in firstly and then the cold water. Mix with chop stickers during the process until you get floccule texture. Wait for cool.
Grasp all the floccules with hands and then roll into a smoothie dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
In order to make juicy filling, we need to mix water with the beef filling by batches. Add the water to minced beef three times and then stir the beef in one direction until the water is completely absorbed by the meat.
For the assembling methods, there are many methods you can use for holding this pie. Just seal them completely. You can fold it as a bun firstly by following the guide here and the guide of folding a chive pancake.
Saute until both sides become golden-brown. Cut into wedges or sever directly.
- ½ pound minced beef
- 1 leek scallion, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Pinch of fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons water (one tablespoon each time)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup hot water over 90 degree C
- 80ml room temperature water (plus 10ml more for adjusting)
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- Pinch of salt
- Mix around 2 cups of all-purpose flour with pinch of salt in a large bowl. Swirl the hot water in firstly and then the cold water. Mix with chop stickers during the process until you get floccule texture. Wait for cool.
- Grasp all the floccules with hands and then roll into a smoothie dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl with minced beef, add water by three batches. After adding the water each time, stir the beef quickly in one direction until all the water is absorbed by the meat. Then mix with salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and herbs firstly and then followed by scallion and grated ginger. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 small ones.Brush some oil on surface and roll each one into a round wrapper; place around 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of the wrapper. Press the filling a little bit and seal the wrapper completely.
- Press the sealed bun prepared in previous step; turn over. Brush some oil on both sides and saute with slow fire until golden-brown.