Super easy pan-fried king oyster mushroom, finished within 5 minutes can be better than meat. I have get suggestions for vegan friendly or vegetarian friendly dishes. There are actually lots of vegan and vegetarian dishes in China. We eat meats only 2-3 times a week 10 years ago. Some of the vegan or vegetable dishes are much more popular than comforting meat meals.
King oyster mushroom（Pleurotus eryngii) belongs to the family of oyster mushroom and it is the largest one. Oyster mushroom group is a group of edible fungus with oyster like capes. Most of the oyster mushrooms have large cap and short steam, grow in clusters. While king oyster mushrooms is very special because it has a large stem. King oyster mushroom is a very popular ingredient in Asian cuisines including Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
We eat this type of mushrooms for years and it get a very lovely name in Chinese“杏鲍菇”indicating the almond like aroma and abalone flavor. In my mind, it is one of the best ingredient for vegetarian diet.
This is a very simple recipe beyond common imagination. After fried with a very small amount of oil, king oyster can be quite delicious itself, soft, juicy and slightly chewy, very similar to chicken meats. Then a mixed herbs and spices are spread to cooperate and strong the flavors.
- Try to choose those middle size king oyster mushrooms and avoid choosing the huge ones.
- If you need to wash those mushrooms, wash quickly under running water and avoid soaking mushrooms in water, as they will absorb water quickly and spoil the cooked texture.
- Cutting some cross lines on one side can help to fasten the cooking process and make the mushrooms absorb more flavors from the spices.
4. During the cooking process, use medium fire and cook king oyster mushroom slowly to make sure they are evenly cooked.
Yummy Mushrooms Recipes
- Steamed enoki mushrooms
- Kung Pao mushrooms
- Bok choy and mushroom stir fry
- Pork and mushroom stir fry
- Oyster mushroom stir fry
Pan-Fried King Oyster
- 4 king oyster mushrooms
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oil
- Toast salt, ground black pepper and cumin in a small pan over slowest fire until aromatic.
- Cut king oyster mushroom into 2 to 3 cm thickness tubes. Cut some cross lines on one side.
- Brush some oil in a pan and place the king oyster mushrooms in. Use middle fire and fry one side until slightly seared and then turn over the fry the other side. The whole process should be around 3-5 minutes and mushrooms should be cooked slowly.
- Transfer to serving plate, spread our spice mix. Place ½ tablespoon of chili sauce as another choice of dipping.
I would like to know do you cut the top of the muchroom off as the finished picture only shows the stem of the muchroom
I actually fry the tops too, Sandra. Just remove it from the photo.
Thank you for replying ... I try quite a few of your recipes and not been disappointed ... Thank you also for sharing your easy to follow recipes x
Wow! I have always seen these in the Asian food store but did not know how to cook until today! Thank you for the recipe.
You are the most welcome, Gingy. Happy cooking. It is amazing.
can your recipe finished with basting with garlic and butter ? Your recipe is great! easy to follow steps and great picts. thankyou for sharing 🙂
Will find a chance to introduce garlic and butter version. Though it is not native to China, I love the version a lot.
OMG this dish was delicious. I am having a hard time not eating them all in one sitting. Almost a vegan scallop dish. So yummy. thank you!
You really get it, Michele! Vegan scallop is really a great description.
This is so delicious!
Thanks Freddy. I believe how delicious vegan dishes can be.
The flavor was awesome! Made a few as per the recipe but way to salty so remade without salt. Perfect!
Delicious! Thank you!
Glad you find this. Super easy and delicious one.
Simple and delicious. My husband and I both loved them! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Emily! This is a hidden star been found by many now.
i just made this! easy, fast, delicious! will be making again next week. 🙂 thank you!!!!
My pleasure, Dione! Love to know you like it.
When I flip them they all start crying and I have a pan full of water. How do I prevent this D: ?
Otherwise super good 10/10
You washed it wrongly. Slightly peel off the skin and then wash very quickly using running water. Don't let it absorb water.