This sticky rice flour ball or Nuomici (糯米糍)is also referred as Chinese glutinous rice dumpling. It is a famous Chinese pastry which is quite popular in Guangdong province and Hong Kong. Sometimes, we call them coconut rice ball.
In summer days, cold drinks and pastries are always popular since they can help us to cool down. Keep those little coconut balls in refrigerator for around 2 hours and just bit it, the aroma of coconut and the sweetness from the combination of sugar and glutinous rice are satisfying.
What is sticky rice?
Glutinous rice, also known as sticky rice is one of the most important ingredients in different types of Chinese pastry. We love glutinous rice. There are many famous festival foods made with glutinous rice, for example the rice dumpling for Dragon Boat Festival, New Year Rice cake for Spring Festival and Ciba for Middle Autumn day.
This glutinous rice dumpling introduced is also known as the Scholar rice cake in China. You may have tried it in Chinatown’s pastry stores. Let’s do them at home. Please measure all the ingredients.For this recipe, we need to use glutinous rice flour. You can get it from some local Asian stores or amazon Dried Sweet Glutinous Rice Flour – 2x 1 Lb (Traditional Water Milled)
Mix glutinous rice powder, sugar, starch, and coconut powder all together in a large bowl. Add water and oil. Mix until well combined.Place the large bowl in a steamer. Bring the water to a boiling and continue to steam for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally during the process.
You can wrap mango, red bean paste or other filling you want. Sweet ones are recommended. If you want to use red bean paste as filling, check how to make red bean paste at home.
Since the sticky rice flour is really sticky, here are some tips for reference.
1. Wait until the powder syrup cool down totally. Better suggestion is to keep the bowl in refrigerator for around 30 minutes before wrapping.
2. You can brush some water on hand to reduce the stickiness of the powder syrup during the wrapping process.
- Half cup of desiccated coconut for decoration
- Mango, red bean paste or any other inner filling you want
- 150 g water glutinous rice flour
- 40 grams starch
- 20 coconut powder
- 25g sunflower seed oil
- 250ml water or around 240ml milk
- 50g sugar powder
- Mix glutinous rice powder, sugar, starch, and coconut powder all together in a large bowl. Add water and oil. Mix until well combined.
- Place the large bowl in a steamer. Bring the water to a boiling and continue to steam for 15 minutes. Stir twice during the process to guarantee the uniform heat.
- Transfer out and cool down totally. Place the bowl in refrigerator for around 30 minutes.
- Prepare your filling if you want only.
- Brush some water on hand, and then wrap the filling and shape the sticky rice powder syrup to a ball.
- Roll the ball in the bowl with desiccated coconut, place in a cupcake cup. Repeat to make all the balls. Put all of them in refrigerator for 2 hours. Enjoy!
Brush some water on hand can reduce the stickiness of the powder syrup.
You can choose your own inner fillings; I use mango and banana this time.