Fired pot stickers are also known as fried dumplings (锅贴 in Chinese). Generally, the dumplings are folded as little moon for pot stickers. In China, we get around 10 ways of folding dumplings and little moon style is the most common used shape and considered as the most fitful for dried dumplings.
Chive and pork is the perfect match for pot stickers. The aroma of leek goes really well in the flour wrapper, giving the dumpling strong aroma too after pan-fried or cooked in water. In Chinese spring festival, people around the whole country cook chive dumplings.
However in daily life, I’d love to make dumplings with different stuffing and various dips. I use a spicy dip to strong the flavor of the stuffing. The surface of the pot stickers make today is really crispy.
I use chopped spring onion, light soy sauce, salt , sesame oil, roasted sesame seeds and Lao Gan Ma Chili Crisp Sauce to make a spicy version dip. Please refer to the recipe below for details.
You may hear that pot stickers are steamed then pan-fried. I introduce an easier way. I just pan-fried the pot stickers directly. However there are indeed some important tips that need attention. If you steam the dumplings firstly, the skin might become more transparent and chewy. And directly pan-frying gives a more crispy taste of the skin.
Firstly making the perfect pork stuffing. Prepare a large bowl and add ground pork(pork with some fat will be better than lean meat). Then add two eggs in the bowl, then chopped chive pieces.
Then add ginger sauce water (mashed or chopped root ginger soaking in boiled cool water). Add 1 teaspoon of salt then.
Add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil and sprinkle some white pepper powder. Then just began to mix in one direction until you get a paste
If you want to make dumpling wrappers at home, check how to make dumplings from starch.
Fold the dumplings as the following pictures or any shape you like. We call this as little moon in China. And dumplings folded in this way are considered to be the most appropriate for making pot sticker. However it is your choice how to fold your dumplings.
In step 1, spoon some stuffing to put in the middle of the wrapper in the left hand. Moisten one edge with some water so that the edges can be pressed firmly
In step 2, fold one side of the wrapper against the other. Press the center together.
In step 3 , began to make the first pleats on the right.
In step 4, the second pleats.
In step 5, I show you how it look like after two pleats are made.
In step 6, repeat this on the left side and get a nice shaped little moon dumpling.
Then brush some oil in a pan and lay the dumplings. Sprinkle some water evenly on the surface. Do toss the dumplings from time to time to avoid over cooking. And control the fire in the later part of pan-frying. Then serve with a dip if you like.
Simple and step to step guide to make chive and pork pot sticker at home.
- 1 package dumpling wrappers
- 1 small bunch of Chinese chive around 300g
- 500g ground pork (with some fat will be better)
- 2 middle size eggs
- 1 inch root ginger
- 2 teaspoons vegetable cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (I use laoganma)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon stock or clean water
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seed
- Clean and chop the chive into small pieces. Prepare the ground pork.
- Chop the ginger into small pieces and soak in boiled cool water to get the ginger water.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground pork with two eggs. Add chive, ginger water and salt, white pepper powder and then mix well in one direction around 4-5 minutes until you get a paste consistency (the filling becomes quite sticky). Add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil and continue to mix in the same direction. Put aside for at least 15 minutes. If you prepare the filling ahead, cover with plastic wrapper and set in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spoon one spoon of stuffing in the center of the wrapper in your left hand and then water the edges with some water. Press the center part together, and then fold some pleats according to your own like. Do enclose the two edges together.
- Brush pan with oil and put the dumplings in. Leave some space among each other, as they slightly expand later.
- Fry one side until slightly golden-brown (around 2 to 3 minutes) and then pour around 1/2 cup of water along with the edges, toss your pan and cover the lid. Slow down the fire and continue heating for 1 minute. Then uncover and turn the dumplings over .Toss the pot stickers occasionally to avoid over cook. Move when both sides become golden-brown and crispy.
- Prepare saucers and add the ingredients for the dips and serve hot.