Super easy fresh pork pot stickers popular on Chinese street. Please do not think I am repeating pot stickers once again on China Sichuan Food. I am introducing a much easier and quicker way to make pot sticker at home for your guys.
Usually we think potstickers are directly from dumplings. Their processes are almost the same with the only difference in cooking stage. Dumplings usually are boiled or steamed while potstickers are pan-fried. In China, we call pan-fried dumplings as 煎饺, while potstickers are usually open ones as I introduced here. This is known as open potstickers (开口锅贴)in China. Comparied with pan-fried dumplings, this open potsticker is easier to assemble and fry.
To assemble the potstickers
Scoop around 1 tablespoon of filling in center and wet the center edges of the wrapper if necessary. Fold one side up to overlap the other side and seal. Leave the two ends open.
And as the two edges are open, the filling inside can be completely cooked in shorter time. There is no need to turn the potstickers over.
If you prefer to make dumpling wrappers at home, check how to make dumplings from starch.
Chinese Cabbage Potstickers
- 60 wrappers , or homemade dumpling wrappers
- 500 g pork , slightly more than 1 pound, with lean and fat and finely minced; you can use ground pork too
- 500 g Chinese cabbage or more if you love to have more vegetables
- 1 tablespoon salt for marinating the cabbage
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying the potstickers
- Chopped green onion for garnishing
- Toasted black sesame , for garnishing
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- Finely mince the cabbage and mix with 1 tablespoon of salt in a large bowl. Set aside for 10-15 minutes. Then wash the cabbage twice to remove extra salt. Squeeze the water out slightly.
- In another mixing bowl, mix ground pork with all the other seasonings. Continue stirring the meat filling in one direction for 1 or 2 minutes or until sticky. Add cabbage and combine well.
Assemble the potsticker
- Scoop around 1 tablespoon of filling in center and wet the wrapper edges if necessary. Fold one side up to overlap the other side. Leave the two ends open. Repeat to finish all.
- In a large pan with cover, brush some oil and lay the potstickers one by one. Pour around 1 /2 cup by the edges of the pan (avoid pouring water on potstickers). Cover the lid and heat over medium high fire. You will hear sound of the water in the first minutes. Move your pan from time to time to guarantee an even heat. Uncover the lid when there is no sound. Garnish green onion and roasted black sesame seeds. Continue frying over slow fire until the bottoms are well colored.
- Serve directly or with any dips.
Dip2: 2 tablespoons back vinegar + several ginger shreds