Chinese pickled cucumber salad with spicy seasonings including chili pepper, sichuan peppercorn etc.
I believe that many cook use cucumber in different kinds of salad since it taste crispy and a little bit sweet. This dish is a cucumber salad actually. But I named it as spicy pickled cucumber. Wonder why? Follow the steps and you will find it so similar to pickled cucumber.
There is a mild version of Chinese cucumber salad(拍黄瓜): smashed cucumber salad with garlic sauce in case you prefer the mild version than the spicy version.
This dish comes from a famous Chinese cucumber salad named as: 蓑衣黄瓜 which means the cucumber is cut to the shape of coir raincoat. And surely cutting technical is strongly required. So I just simply cut them into thin slices. Firstly peel the tough part off. But remain the skins. And cut the cucumber into thin slices.
Prepare a pan, heat up 1 tablespoon oil and then stir-fry Sichuan peppercorn and tai Chili pepper until you can smell the aroma. Pour the hot oil directly on the top of the cucumber slices prepared. You can used dried red peppers.
If you cannot eat spicy food, you can stir-fry the garlic instead of the chili peppers.
Simple Spicy Picked Cucumber Salad. This salad is topped with mixed chili oil with thai fresh chili pepper and Sichuan peppercorn, and thus having a unique and fresh spicy, sweet yet crispy taste.
- 1 long fresh cucumber
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 Thai chili peppers, chopped into small sections
- 1 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or other vegetable oil
- Cut the two ends of cucumber off and peel the tough part off. Then cut the cucumber into thin slices.
- Sprinkle salt on cucumber evenly to pick for around 1 to 2 hours.
- Squeeze the salt water out, add vinegar, sesame oil, cold water and mashed garlic in the bowl with the cucumber slices.
- Heat up oil in a pan, add chopped chili pepper and Sichuan peppercorn until you can smell the aroma. And then pour it evenly on the cucumber. (or you can simple add some chili oil or Sichuan peppercorn oil).
You can add some sugar if you want a sweeter taste.