Healthy and yummy oyster beef with Chinese broccoli is on my top lists of Beef stir-fry recipes. I am not familiar with both ingredients before moving to Guangdong province. At the first several attempts, I love oyster sauce. This sauce with unique sweet flavor usually highlights many green vegetables like lettuce leafs and broccoli. However I feel slightly unlike the taste of Chinese broccoli compared with another popular Cantonese green vegetable-Yu Choy. There are quite similar in appearance, but taste totally different. However after several years in this place, I just fell in love with it. This experience is quite similar to my emotion for Shaanxi Cuisine. I began to love Shaanxi dishes in the third year of my university life after two years of struggling. Then I found the highlights and shining parts. Though different from my familiar Sichuan cuisine, they are excellent too.
To customize this oyster beef with Chinese broccoli, you can use red onion and green peppers as the side ingredients. Sometimes you may find that Chinese broccoli is stir-fried with the beef in wok. I just blanch Chinese broccoli and top with oyster beef. Blanched Chinese broccoli provides a sweet yet crispy taste. It will form a strong contrast with the savory oyster beef.
This oyster beef with broccoli can be serve with steamed rice or noodles. And if you love to stir fry with oyster sauce, I high recommend using Lee Kum Kee premium oyster sauce.
Other Chinese beef stir fry dishes to try.
Beef Chow Fun, pan-fried beef with rice noodles
Hunan beef, a spicy beef stir fry dish popular across China
Szechuan shredded beef stir fry, seriously Szechuan style hot and dry beef shreds.
Ground beef rice bowl, stir fry minced beef and serve with rice.
- 1 and ½ cup beef slices, lean part and no fat
- 1 small bunch Chinese broccoli, tough skin removed and drained well
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 ginger slices
- 2 tablespoons starch
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- a small pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- Dash of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Remove the fat edges of your beef and cut into slices (against the grain).
- Transfer the beef slices to a bowl and add all the marinating sauces. Grasp with hand to make sure beef slices absorb the marinating sauces. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- During this time, remove any tough skin of the Chinese broccoli. Bring water to boil in a large pot, add several ginger slices and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Blanch Chinese broccoli for 40 seconds. Transfer out and lay in the bottom of serving plate.
- Heat up oil in wok until smoky; add beef slices in and quick fry for 30 seconds. Add oyster sauce and sesame oil, mix well and transfer out immediately.