Super easy and healthy Chinese green (Yu Choy) stir fry with garlic. 蒜蓉菜心
Yu Choy has become one of my favorite Chinese evergreen vegetables. Chinese greens like boy choy, gan lian, Yu Choy and cabbage appears on almost typical Chinese meals. I cook this Yu Choy at least twice a week. The Chinese name of Yu Choy is 菜心 in Chinese, literally means “vegetable heart”. We have lots of vegetable hearts in China. For example Hubei style vegetable heart has purple and red skins. This Yu Choy is popular in Guangdong province. So we call it as Cantonese vegetable hearts.
Yu Choy looks quite similar to Chinese broccoli. So the two are confused frequently. Chinese broccoli tastes slightly bitter and has darker green leaves and white flowers. However Yu Choy is more tender and sweeter. And the flower of Yu Choy is yellow. You can choose smaller stalks but I just like the stalk so usually I choose middle size ones and peel the tough skins off.
Other Chinese vegetable stir fry
Yu Choy Stir Fry
- 300 g Yu Choy also known as Yu Chai , tough skin removed and cut into stalks if necessary
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 garlic cloves , finely chopped or mashed
- 1 small Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. water , optional
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- In a small bowl, mix water, salt with oyster sauce.
- Heat oil in wok until hot. Slow down the fire and add minced garlic to fry until aroma. Place in the mixed sauce in the first step.
- In a large pot, bring enough water to boil. Add around ⅛ teaspoon of salt and several drops of sesame oil after boiling. Place the Yu Choy in. Heat until the water boils again.
- Transfer out and place in serving plate.
- Pour the hot garlic oyster mixture on top of the vegetables. Serve hot.