Super easy Chinese tomato egg stir fry - xihongshi chao jidan. It is juicy because of the tomato and full of umami flavor. It is one of the best matches for Chinese steamed rice. Let's learn how to make Chinese tomato egg stir fry in 10 minutes.
Tomato and egg- the best match
In Chinese cuisine, there are lots of dishes that combine tomato and egg together. In addition to this Chinese tomato and scrambled stir fry recipe, another popular dish is Chinese tomato and egg drop soup. For me, I believe they are the best match. Umami components from tomatoes can significantly improve the taste of the scrambled egg.
You will only need some fundamental ingredients for this classic tomato and scrambled egg.
- Tomatoes- choose mature tomatoes with more juice if possible.
- Eggs- organic eggs can have a lovely yellow color. Remember to whisk the egg well.
- Oil- in order to make the scrambled egg tender and fluffy, we will need a larger amount of oil.
- Salt and sugar - add the basic flavor to the dish.
- Light soy sauce - optionally, but I highly recommend adding some because it will improve the umami flavor greatly.
How to serve with tomato egg stir fry
This Chinese-style tomato and egg stir fry is a childhood for many of us. It can be served on noodles, rice, or steamed buns as toppings.
My favorite way is to serve it with steamed rice, as a tomato rice bowl. Each bite is super satisfying.
Rule 1: well-beaten egg. Use a whisker to beaten the egg with a small pinch of salt and pepper until there is a small layer of fine bubbles. The air inside the egg liquid can help to make them fluffy and tender.
Rule 2: Choose mature tomatoes. Mature tomatoes can provide enough juicy tartness. The tender scrambled egg in tomato juice is definitely a rice killer.
I don't peel the tomatoes for stir-fry dishes, because the skin is super easy to remove after cooking. But if you prefer to remove the skin before cooking, rotate the tomato in hot boiling water, and then the skins can be easily peeled off.
If you love scrambled eggs, there are several dishes recommended by us.
Scrambled egg with shrimp, also known as a Chinese shrimp omelette is a tender scrambled egg with light and refreshing shrimp.
Another savory scrambled egg dish is with savory beef. Those two are all coming from Cantonese cuisine and are worth trying.
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 2 eggs
- 2 middle size tomatoes , cut into small wedges
- small pinch of salt and pepper , for egg liquid
- 3 tbsp. oil
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt , or to taste
- 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 scallion , cut into inch pieces
- In a small bowl, crack and add a small pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk until there is a small layer of fine bubbles and the mixture becomes slightly white.
- Cut tomato in halves and remove the core and then further cut into small wedges.
- Heat up oil in wok until really hot, stir egg mixture in. Wait for seconds until the egg liquid firms. Turn off the fire immediately and then break the egg into small pieces. Transfer the egg out and leave the oil in.
- Add tomato wedges in, fry until juicy. Return egg pieces, add salt, sugar and light soy sauce. allion. Do a quick stir fry to combine everything well. Serve immediately.