This is a clay pot recipe—clay pot braised mung bean noodles with shrimps.
Have you ever heard of Chinese mung bean noodles? They are made from healthy green mung beans and present crystal appearance. So this thin noodle is also named as crystal noodles, glass noodles. In China, we call it vermicelli (粉丝). It is a common ingredient for soup.
Have you ever heard of the recipe called ants climbing a tree in Sichuan Cuisine? Mung bean noodles are used as the “tree” in this stir frying vermicelli recipe.
To cook mung bean noodles, firstly we need to soak them a little while in clean water until soft. Then you can use it in your stir-fries, soups or a clay pot recipe this one. Additionally, those bean thread noodles can be used in steam recipe too—check Steamed Scallops with Vermicelli. It tastes excellent along with seafood such as scallops and shrimp. When I was still in Sichuan province where seafood was really expensive, we use Sichuan style pickled vegetables to cook soup. That one is one of my favorite too!
Come to today’s recipe. This is the most basic version. You can add some veggies or mushrooms if you like.
Braised Mung Bean Noodles with Shrimps
- Around 12 shrimps , deveined (In Chinese cooking, the shell of shrimps usually are kept; However peel it whatever if you like)
- 2 small bunches of mung bean noodles
- 5 mushrooms , with flower cut
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 slices of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- Soak the mung bean noodles in clean water for around 15 minutes until soft. If you are in hurry, use warm water instead of cold water. Transfer the noodles out and discard the water.
- Heat up cooking oil in pan; add garlic cloves, ginger, and chopped coriander steam in to stir fry until aroma. Add shrimp in to stir fry until they begin to turn red.
- Heat a clay pot, place a layer of soaked mung bean noodles firstly and then transfer all the content in the pan to the clay pot. Add salt firstly, then soy sauce; cooking wine, peppercorn powder and water (the noodles will absorb the water during the later heating process).
- Continue cooking for around 5 minutes. Serve with chopped coriander or green onion garnished?