Steamed Scallops with vermicelli in shell with garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and chopped chili peppers.
Steamed Scallop is a famous Chinese dish, quite popular in provinces aside the sea. I am living in Guangong now and those scallops are really quite yummy and cheap.Just for 10 RMB, I get 12 scallops. There are many types of scallops, some has white shell and others many have orange shell.
How to cook Scallops?
For me, there are two great ways, one is to steam scallops with vermicelli, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and chopped chili peppers and the other way is to bake scallop with cheese.
How to clean scallops
Scallops need to be cleaned carefully with tips; otherwise there might be sands in the meat.
Firstly cut the scallop meat off the shell with a small knife. And put the meat in a middle bowl.
Brush one half of the shell for further use.
For the meat part, add around 2 teaspoons of starch and grasp with hand so the sands will sink to the bottom of the bowl. Then wash carefully in running water until the scallops are totally cleaned.
Set up the steamer, and place the shell on the steamer firstly, place the other ingredients one by one. Firstly the vermicelli and then meat, garlic sauce, chopped chili peppers. You can purchase bottom chopped chili pepper or make some at home with this post homemade chopped chili peppers.
Here are some tips during the process, when place vermicelli, try to place it swirly so it will not collapse during the steaming process. It is really important to soak the vermicelli in hot water for at least 10 minutes for softening.
Do not scoop too much garlic sauce oil firstly; otherwise you may leftover with extra scallops without the seasonings.
Can you believe that all of them just gone "maybe with wind" haha in two minutes. Elaine will follow up another way of cooking yummy scallops later. Do check back.Additionally, here are some other seafood recipes on the site you may be interested in.
Steamed Scallops with vermicelli (How to Cook Scallops Part I)Print Pin Rate
- 12 half-shelled fresh scallops
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 small bunch of bean vermicelli , around 30g
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 8 middle size garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chili pepper
- 2 spring onions , white part and green part separated and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, add 1 cup of boiling water and soak the vermicelli until soft.
- Remove scallop meat from the shell, grasp with starch for several minutes and then wash in the running water to remove sands. If encounter any dirty bits, remove them. Place the meat in a middle bowl and marinade with cooking wine for around 10 minutes.
- Wash the shell carefully too with a brush.
- Place some water in wok and set up the steamer. Then place the shell one by one on the steamer.
- Place a fitful amount of vermicelli on the shell firstly and then place the meat back to the shell one by one.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and sauté garlic until aroma, add white part of chopped spring onions to stir fry for around 1 minute. Remove the pan off the fire and add soy sauce, salt and sesame oil. Mix well to make the garlic sauce oil.
- Scoop the garlic sauce oil to top the prepared scallops along with chopped chili pepper.
- Bring the water to a boiling and then continue to cook for 8 minutes. Transfer out and lay in serving plates. Garnish chopped spring onions on top.
- Heat up around 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in pan until there are waves on the surface. Scoop the hot oil to pour on the steamed scallops. Serve hot!