Szechuan style red oil wonton with unique Sichuan style red oil, black vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil.
If you ever visited any small street food restaurants, you will find red oil wonton and red oil dumplings are provided. The wonton soup in Sichuan cuisine is quite different from Shanghai version or Cantonese version (Chinese shrimp wonton soup). This wonton is extremely featured by its soup broth or more actually red oil dressing. We are calling this special food as red oil Chao Shou 抄手.
In order to get bright red oil, I would suggest making the chili oil the day before you decide to make this red oil wonton. The red oil should be slightly brown due to the high temperature of the oil. And after several hours cooling down and settling, the oil will absorb the red color of the chili powder.
Szechuan style hot and spicy red oil wonton
- 30 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup minced pork
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 small size egg
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3-6 tablespoons Szechuan style chili oil depends how spicy you want
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 tablespoon minced green onion
- Minced coriander
- 1 cup water from cooking wonton
- You'd better to prepare the chili oil in the previous day according to this instruction.
- In a large bowl, mix minced pork with ginger, oyster sauce, egg, spring onion and salt. Keep stirring the mixture in one direction until well combined and sticky.
- Refrigerate for around 15 minutes for a better flavor.
- Assemble wonton one by one.
- In a bowl, mix all the seasonings together.
- Cook wonton in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes until the wrappers become transparent completely. You can add some green vegetable like lettuce, bok choy leaves in last minute. Transfer out to serving bowl and then scoop some water to cover most of the wontons (not too much as it may dilute the red oil dressing).
- Pour the red oil dressing on top; garnish extra minced spring onion and coriander. Mix well before enjoying.