Chinese Cantonese style Shrimp Wonton Soup.
I have made several wonton soup recipes on this little Chinese food blog and this one is my current favorite. This version comes out really great with the highlights of shrimp. Different from Sichuan style wonton soup, Cantonese wonton soup usually calls for seafood as filling and serve with mild soup base. If you are interested in Sichuan style red oil wonton soup, check here Spicy wonton soup.
Firstly, we need to make the shrimp filling.
In a large bowl, mix minced pork (you can also add chicken)and shrimp with green onions, grated ginger, coriander, light soy sauce, egg white, sesame oil and salt. Stir in one direction until the filling becomes sticky and you get a paste texture(do not be lazy ,all the hard work will pay off at the end).
Secondly, assemble the Wontons.There are many ways to assemble wontons. I have listed the basic methods the two wonton recipes below. Choose one that seems easy and comfortable for you. Just seal them completely so that the filling will not come out during the cooking process.
Other wonton soup recipes on ChinaSichuanFood
Wonton Wrappers– with videos showing how to make paper thin wonton wrappers at home.
Spicy wonton soup—where I share the basic Sichuan style red oil wonton soup(Wonton folded as right column )
Vegetarian wonton soup—I use crushed tofu and broccoli as the filling. If you can find egg-free wonton wrapper, then this would be vegan friendly.(wonton folded as the left column)
Beef wonton soup–Sesame beef wonton soup.
- 1 lb. wonton wrapper
- Several green vegetables
- Drops of sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 pieces of dried seaweed (nori)
- Green onion and coriander for garnishing
- 200g minced pork
- 100g minced shrimp
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix minced pork and shrimp with green onions, grated ginger, coriander, light soy sauce, egg white, sesame oil and salt. Stir in one direction until the filling becomes sticky and you get a paste texture.
- Scoop around 1 teaspoon filling, place in the center of the wrapper. Assemble the wonton one by one.
- In serving bowls, add all the seasonings in the bottle and set aside.
- Boil some water in pot; add wonton in to cook for around 3-4 minutes depending on the size of your wonton. Blend green vegetables too.
- Scoop around 1 cup of boiling water from the pot to the serving bowls to tune the seasoning and then transfer all the wonton and green vegetables to bowls. Pour extra water to soak the wonton.
- Serve immediately with green onion and coriander garnished.
Enjoy and I wish you like this the same as me.