Szechuan shrimp—hot crispy shrimp with celery
Although seafood is not native to Sichuan cuisine, there are many yummy hot seafood recipes. Most of them are not famous but are super easy to cook at home and amazing in taste. So I feel it is really necessary to introduce this recipe on this little blog. Anyone who loves Gan Bian dishes, do not miss this one.
The cooking method used in this recipe is my favorite Gan Bian, literally meaning dry-frying. There are many famous Chinese dry-frying recipes including Szechuan style green beans, dry fried cauliflower.
The side ingredient used today is celery, which wins lots of popularity when it comes to spicy food in Chinese cuisine. But personally I think broccoli is also great.
Firstly deep-fry the shrimps until crispy. We can do this by batches so we will not waste too much oil.
Fry with celery and spices.
Let's just enjoy!
Szechuan Shrimp—Spicy Crispy Shrimp
- 1 pound fresh middle size shrimp , deveined
- 1 cup celery sections
- 2 tablespoons starch or as needed
- 4 ~6 chili peppers , cut into small sections
- Several Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 inch root ginger , shredded
- 2 garlic cloves , sliced
- 3 green onions , white part and green part finely chopped separately
- Roasted sesame seeds for garnish
- ½ cup vegetable cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 ginger slices
- 1 green onion , cut into long sections
- Devein the shrimp, marinating with 1 tablespoon cooking wine, 2 ginger slices and several green onion section. Set aside for 10 minutes and dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, slightly coat the shrimp with starch prepared.
- Heat up oil for frying in wok until you can see waves on the surface. Deep fry shrimps by batches until they are crispy outside. Transfer the shrimps out and remove extra oil too.
- Leave around ½ tablespoon cooking oil in wok. Add garlic, ginger and dried peppers to stir fry until aroma. Return fried shrimp and combine everything well.
- Add celery section to continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Turn off the fire and garnish some roasted sesame seeds. Mix well and serve immediately.