Steamed pork with salted egg is a humble and quick pork dinner dish. Minced pork is steamed with one of my famous snack salted egg.If you ever tasted Chinese salted duck egg. Nothing beaten the taste of salted duck egg yolk. It is salty and just melts in the mouth.
Firstly for the ingredients, I choose hindquarter for a suitable ratio between fat and lean. Surely you can purchase minced pork or ground pork directly so do not need to bother mincing by hand. But I enjoy the process.
You can also add Chinese yam and water chestnut or lotus root if you find any type of them. They can provide a slightly sweet taste of the steamed pork. This is the basic version introduced.
Prepare ground pork, smashed garlic, green onions along with other seasonings and two salted duck egg yolks and one egg white. Because the egg white itself is quite salty, we need to adjust the amount slightly.
Then stir the meat from one direction for couple of minutes until the minced pork becomes sticky.
Transfer the mixture to one large deep bowl or plate or two bowls like me. Then flatten the meat cake. Dig a hole in center and place the salted duck egg yolk. Steam for around 15 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your meat cake.
There are both boiled duck egg and fresh ones available, fresh ones should be perfect for this recipe. However if you can only find boiled ones, you can add some water to the meat mixture for a tender taste.
Steamed Pork with Salted Egg
- 200 g ground pork
- 2 duck salted egg
- 1 inch root ginger
- 2 spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons starch
- Dash of white pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water , for boiled salted egg
- salt as needed , for boiled salted egg
- Remove the rind and then mince the pork.
- If you are using boiled duck egg (no egg white can be used): Add around 1 tablespoon of water by three batches. Each time after adding the water, stir the pork in one direction until all the water is absorbed. And remember to add some salt to your mixture since no egg white is used. Skip this step if you are using un-boiled salted duck egg.
- Mix egg white, starch, smashed garlic, green onions and ginger, sesame oil, white peppercorn powder with minced pork in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to steaming bowls. Flatten carefully.
- Dig a small hole in the center to hold the yolk; Steam for around 15 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your meat cake.
- Break yolk and garnish some chopped spring onion; Serve hot!