If you ever tried Chinese steamed egg or egg custard, it will amaze you by the super smooth and fresh taste.
Only with super common ingredients, those steamed egg is a must for daily cooking especially if you get old or younger eater in the family.
Why? Because steamed egg is easier to absorb and do not need too much chew.
However to make a perfect Chinese steamed egg at home is not that easy and there are some tips you need to pay attention. This version is a basic Chinese steamed egg recipe. You may also add mushrooms or meat if you prefer.
Firstly after beating the egg, use a filter to move the impurities so that you can get the tender taste.
Secondly control the ratio between water and egg. The ratio recommended for water and egg liquid is around 3:2. When pour the water in, stir the egg in one direction and then put the container aside for around 5 minutes to remove the possible bubble in. Then the container needs to be covered no matter by cover or plastic wrap. I use tin foil paper. So no water will drop on the surface during the process of steaming.
Thirdly we need to control the fire during steaming, put the steamer in wok and bring some water to a boiling. After the water becomes boiling, turn down the fire and simmer for around 15 minutes. Drop some sesame oil and garnish some green onions before serving.
- 3 middle size eggs
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 spring onion,chopped
- In a large bowl, beat the egg finely.
- Place a filter on your container; pour the egg liquid. Let the liquid drop into the container slowly.
- Add salt and pour water slowly and stir the liquid in one direction. Put the containers aside for around 5 minutes to remove any bubble inside and then cover them.
- Set up the steamer,bring the water to a boiling and slow down the fire to simmer for 8-12 minutes depending on your container. For the time, please see note 1.
- Remove from the fire and wait for 2 minutes to cool down a little bit.
- Transfer the containers out;pour some sesame oil on each and garnish chopped spring onion on top.
Note 2: You can add replace some water with milk to make milk steamed egg if you like.