Spicy and sour shredded potatoes (TudouSi) is a humble and basic Chinese stir-fry dishes. My family especially the children all love potatoes very much. Besides bright stewed potatoes, flavoring mashed potatoes, I also love spicy and sour potatoes!
Although the steps are quite simple, but making perfect spicy and sour potatoes does need some tips. Let’s check them one by one.
Firstly, potatoes should be cut into shreds in similar sizes. The reason is different shred sizes requires different cooking time. So if we want to keep the cooking time precise, then cutting step is important. You can resort to some cutter if you do not like to cut shreds. In case you do want a try, here are some basic process, cut the potatoes into thin slices and arrange well as a slope and then further cut into shreds.
Secondly we need to soak the shredded potatoes in clean water for around 10 minutes. The reason is soaking in clean water can help to remove some of the starch contained by the potatoes and making the shreds less sticky during the stir-fry process. Do remember to drain them before starting frying.
Other potato recipes on ChinaSichuanFood
- 2 large white potatoes
- 4 dry chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of salt or as needed
- ½ tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil
- Spring onion for garnish
- Wash the potatoes and then cut into shreds of similar size.
- Prepare a clean bowl with clean water. Then soak the shredded potatoes in water for several minutes.
- Drain shredded potatoes and set aside. Heat up oil in pan, then put in chili red pepper, Sichuan pepper and sliced garlic to stir-fry for the aroma.
- Add drained potatoes shreds, quick stir-fry until the potatoes shreds become soft. Add salt, soy sauce and black vinegar. Mix evenly.
- Transfer out and garnish some spring onion before serving
Hope you enjoy and thanks for visiting!