I have made snow fungus soup days before with purple sweet potato. Then here comes the same another snow fungus soup today.
White fungus, an edible fungus that grows on many trees in Asia is also named as snow fungus, white wood ear or tremella. In Chinese traditional medicine, it is used for more than 2000 years for small ailments. And it is believed that white fungus is especially benefit to female. It can nourish and moisten the lungs .
Commonly dried snow fungus soup is provided on market. High quality snow fungus should have a surface in yellowish-white. Skin those pure white ones because they might be bleached. The dried snow fungus soup should be soaked in clean water until soft. And the density of the white fungus flower influences the time needed for the soaking process.
Usually, I soak my loose snow fungus for 4 hours and dense ones for 8 hours. Cooking snow fungus soup sometimes is time consuming thus I use high pressure cooker to replace regular pot. If you do not have one high pressure cooker, then your slow cooker is also a nice choice.
Snow fungus with red dates and wolfberry is the perfect match usually used in Chinese snow fungus soup.
- Half of snow fungus flower
- 1 tablespoon wolfberry
- Several red dates
- 1 tablespoon crystal sugar
- Soak snow fungus firstly for at least 4 hours. Then move the yellow end. Hand shred into small chunks.
- Prepare a high pressure cooker or slow cooker, and then add enough clean water. Add snow fungus and crystal sugar in to cook for 20 minutes for high pressure cooker and at least 40 minutes for slow cooker.
- Then add red dates and wolfberry in to continue cook for 5 to 10 minutes.