Sautéed small potatoes with pepper, salt and spring onions-one of the most famous and popular Chinese side dish!
When Elaine was still a little girl, we grow our potatoes in the golden behind the house. They are not as big as those potatoes available in today’s supermarket and have a more pure taste. Then today I just encounter with some small potatoes and I am so happy. The bed news is that they are not in similar sizes. Some are mush bigger while others are quite small. Anyway, I bought them, still.
Small potatoes can be kept for a long time in a cellar, as a result, they has becomes our side dish along half of the year. And the recipe today is a food I am familiar with from a little girl and loved along all those days.
I guess another name of this dish should be salt and pepper sauteed potatoes, since I use salt and pepper as the main seasoning for flavor. You can also add Chinese five spicy powders or spicy chili powder if you prefer.
Potatoes in small size are required for this recipe. I do recommend using the larger one available in the supermarket to replace since the taste is slightly different.
Firstly we need to wash the surface carefully and remove the black dots and then boil the potatoes in clean water. If you see any green sprout on the surface of the potato, discard it because it might be poisonous.Then simple sautée the potato in a pan with peanut oil until there are crispy surface. And then add, spring onion and salt and pepper for flavoring.
Eat them up when they are still hot for a crispy and stronger taste.
- 1 pound small potatoes
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanuts oil
- Wash the surface of the small potatoes carefully. Remove the tough or black dots on the surface with a knife.
- Place the washed potatoes in a pot; add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring all the content to a boiling and then continue to cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are totally cooked.
- Smash each small potatoes into oblate gently.
- Heat up peanuts oil in pan, add potatoes in. Sautee until the potato surface becomes slightly golden brown. Turn off the fire, sprinkle chopped spring onion, salt and pepper; Mix well and enjoy!