Kimchi fried rice is one of my favorite fried rices breakfast in every winter when my homemade kimchi is fermented for around 2 weeks. The kimchi juice makes the fried rice so easy and yummy. As I mentioned before that I make kimchi every winter. My personal kimchi routine is served as cold side dish after 7 day fermentation and then use in kimchi fried rice or simple kimchi stew after 2 weeks.
This is Elaine's daily easy kimchi fried rice recipe as I do not add bacon, pork belly or other meat, but add light soy sauce. I use vegetable oil for daily kimchi fried rice. But I am totally satisfied with the result. My secret weapon is the longer fermented homemade kimchi (shown in following picture). After around 2 weeks fermentation, the kimchi becomes quite sour and there will be a large amount of red juice in the bottom. It provides an excellent fermentation sour taste and a bright red color.
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 2 cups steamed leftover rice , separated before frying
- 2 tablespoons kimchi juice
- ¼ to ⅓ cup minced kimchi
- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 green onions , white part and green part separated and chopped
- toasted sesame seeds for garnishing , optional
- Cut the kimchi into small pieces and separate the steamed leftover rice.
- Heat up cooking oil and fry white part of green onion until aroma. Add kimchi pieces and fry for 20-30 seconds. Add rice and give a big stir fry to combine everything well. Add light soy sauce, kimchi juice and half of chopped green onion. Mix well.
- Serve with fried egg and green onions. Garnish some toasted sesame seeds if you prefer.