Lovely eye-appealing golden fried rice--黄金蛋炒饭. And here is the sister, classic egg fried rice. If you visit some Chinese restaurants, you may tried this already.
What's golden fried rice
Golden fried rice is another way of Chinese egg fried rice. The golden yellow color comes from the egg yolk. The method of making golden fried rice is different from classic fried rice. The egg is mixed with rice directly before stir-frying.
If you want your golden fried rice to be more "yellow", you can add more egg yolks.
What's the flavor of golden fried rice
The golden fried rice tastes similar to classic egg fried rice. This is a basic layer, you can also add protein (beef, chicken, or pork) or vegetables of your choice for a more nutritious meal. Use this dish to impress your family and friends with traditional Chinese cooking! Enjoy!
Type of rice
In theory, any rice can be used in fried rice. However, rice contains more starch may lead to a sticky texture of the rice. So long-grain indica rice or jasmine rice will be better options.
Leftover rice is always the best option for fried rice
The secret of restaurant-style egg fried rice is to make sure the rice is not mushy and wet. Leftover rice always meets the standard because of water evaporation. So leftover is always the best. But if you want to make egg fried rice right now and there is no leftover rice by hand. Chilling the freshly cooked rice is another way.
How to make the fried rice fluffy
- Make sure the rice is not mushy and wet. Leftover meets the standard naturally. So making fried rice will be a great way of using the leftovers. If you don't have leftover rice by hand, make freshly steamed rice and then spread it on a large pan to cool down. Or chill in the fridge if in a hurry.
- Make sure the wok or pan is hot enough. The critical challenge of making fried rice at home is the sticky problem. Once the grains start to stick, the shape of the grains will be broken and the whole dish will be spoiled.
What you will need to make golden fried rice
- steamed rice - leftover rice will be the best
- Eggs- choose organic rice that has a darker yellow color.
- Cooking oil - vegetable oil. If you can accept animal fat, I will recommend you try to use pork lard.
- Salt and pepper- can enhance the flavor.
- Green onions
- Light soy sauce gives a very basic savory flavor.
- Sesame oil (optional)
Crack two eggs in a pan with rice. Add salt and ground pepper. Mix well and ensure each grain is well coated with egg liquid.
Preheat the wok, heat the wok until really hot (almost smoky), and add the rice egg mixture. Continue frying for 2-3 minutes until the rice grains pop up.
Add light soy sauce (along the wok edges), green onion, and optionally sesame oil. Give everything a big stir fry and serve hot!
What to serve with?
Fried rice is a great dish and can be a lovely meal itself. But I still recommend you match it with soups or salad. Following are my top favorite serving of fried rice dishes.
Golden egg fried rice
Rice Egg Mixture
- 3 cups leftover rice , or use freshly steamed after chilled
- ½ tsp. salt
- dash of ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil , vegetable oil or lard or butter
- 3 scallions or green onions , chopped
- 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil , optional
- Crack two eggs in a pan with rice. Add salt and ground pepper. Mix well and make sure each of the grain is well coated with egg liquid.
- Preheat the wok, heat wok until really hot (almost smoky). This is the most important tip for the fired rice dish. Heating the wok can prevent the rice sticky to the wok surface and further spoil the texture. Add the rice egg mixture. Continue frying for 2-3 minutes until the rice grains pop up. Keep the fire to middle or high fire.
- Add light soy sauce (along the wok edges), green onion and optionally sesame oil. Give everything a big stir fry and serve hot!
Thanks for the recipe! It looks easy and delicious!