When it comes to fall, I love to drink soup very much since the weather becomes more and more dry. There is a saying that it is just the right time to add some fat to your body for the cold winter. So comparing with the hot summer, I prefer to eat more meat to add some energy to my body.
Dried Shitake mushroom has very unique and fuller taste comparing with fresh ones. Thus dried shitake mushrooms are commonly used in meat soup rather than fresh ones. For more types of mushrooms for cooking, please check here.
The soup made today is a simple version and I am trying to keep the original taste of chicken meat and the shitake mushroom. This soup has an interesting Chinese name as simmered chick with mushroom, which means the chicken meat should from a young chick rather than an old one. But old chick is also acceptable.
Choose one half of the whole chick, and then cut into small pieces. Clean carefully and rinse quickly in boiling water to get rid of the floater. Then wash the cooked chicken meat again in clean water.
Get one piece of ginger, cut into small sections and crush the sections.Put rinsed chicken meat, crushed ginger sections and soaked dried shitake mushrooms into the large pot prepared and begin the simmer.
I use electric pressure cooker in order to save time and you can choose to use marmite for simmer.If you get electric pressure cooker, just choose the function of soup and leave it aside.
For marmite simmering, use high fire to boil the water firstly and then slow down the fire to simmer for around 1.5 hours. And do remember to add more water since simmering process in marmite will evaporate a small amount of water.
Please note that salt should be added when the soup is ready rather than at the very beginning.
- Half of whole chicken
- 1 oz dried shitake mushroom
- One piece of ginger
- Salt to taste
- Choose one half of the whole chick, and then cut into small pieces.
- Clean carefully and rinse quickly in boiling water to get rid of the floater. Then wash the cooked chicken meat again in clean water.
- Soak the dried shitake mushrooms in clean water and wash off the sand
- Put rinsed chicken meat, crushed ginger sections and soaked dried shitake mushrooms into the large pot prepared and begin the simmer.
- Add salt to taste and serve with chopped green onions sprinkled on top