Minced Pork Noodles—Zha jiang mian is a famous noodle dish across the country. However, you may see many restaurants offer it as Beijing style Zhajiangmian on their menu. But its territory is far beyond Beijing.
The highlight of this noodle lay in the minced pork sauce or pork gravy. And this pork gravy changes from northern China to Southern China with the most two essential sauces stay the same: sweet bean sauce and soybean paste. In Sichuan style, doubanjiang is also called for a slightly spicy taste.
To make the gravy(Zha Jiang Sauce), firstly stir fry minced pork, mushrooms and scallions with ginger and green onions. Then boil the sauce firstly and simmer the pork gravy for around 10 minutes.Turn up the fire to thicken the sauce. A large bowl of yummy minced pork sauce–Zha Jiang Sauce is ready.
Another feature of zhajiangmian is the side ingredients lay on top of the freshly cooked noodles—cucumbers, scallion, carrots are usually used.
Chinese Minced Pork Noodles--Zha Jiang Mian
- 500g fresh noodles
- fresh cucumber as needed, shredded
- carrots as needed , shredded
- scallion white as needed, shredded
- 400g minced pork (highly recommend using minced pork with with fat, not pure lean meat)
- 4 shitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 inch root ginger, finely chopped
- 5 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sweet bean sauce (not a dessert, named as TianmianJiang in Chinese)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons soybean paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon oil
- In a small bowl, combine water, sweet bean paste and soybean paste well and set aside.
- Heat up around 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil in wok, stir fry finely chopped ginger, green onion, pork, mushroom and scallion until almost cooked(when the pork starts to change color). Transfer out.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil again; pour the sauce prepared in step 1. Bring all the content to a boiling. Return stir fried pork.
- Slow down the fire to simmer for around 10 minutes. Turn up the fire to thicken the sauce. Stir occasionally during the process.
- Cook carrot shreds in boiling water for around 1 minute. Transfer out;
- Cook fresh noodles in boiled water for 5 minutes or follow the instruction on the package.
- Transfer the noodles to serving bowls and lay side vegetables firstly and then the sauce. Garnish with some green onions and serve immediately.
- Mix well with the gravy before enjoying.
If you want a slightly spicy taste, add 1 tablespoon or more of your favorite chili paste. The pork gravy itself can be refrigerated in airtight container for around 1 week and it might taste salty.
If you feel the gravy is too salty, you can reduce the amount of sauces used in the recipe.
Thanks for visiting and hope you enjoy! If you love Chinese style noodles, check yummy Chinese noodle recipes collection, too.