I have got many e-mails querying about how to make Chinese dumpling dough and how to make dumpling wrappers. Previously I have made lots of Chinese dumpling recipes but did not provide a detailed instruction about how to make dumpling from flour. So here the tutorial comes.
Generally, there are three parts of making dumplings:Making a dough for dumplings and make dumpling wrapper,making your favorite dumpling filling and decide how to cook and serve dumplings (steam, pan-frying or water-boiling)
How to make dumpling wrappers
- 300g flour
- 150g water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
The ratio between flour and water is around 2:1. Add salt accordingly.
- Mix salt with flour
- Stir the water in the bowl with flour slowly and stir the flour with a chop sticker.
- Knead the flour into smooth dough possibly for around 5~8 minutes, cover with a cloth and set aside for around 40 minutes.
Then keand the dough again for around 5 minutes until you get a smooth surface. Now, there are two options
1. Roll the dough into a long log and then Cut the log into sections around 1 inch. Roll the small section into round wrappers.
2. Roll the entire dough into a large wrapper around 0.5 cm thin and then cut the wrappers out with a round cutter. You can choose either way you like.
How to make dumpling filling
Usually, dumplings can be made with beef, chicken, pork and shrimp. Choose your favorite ones. You can combine some of them together.
Decide whether any side vegetables are required. Commonly, mushrooms, celery, carrots, cabbages are great side vegetables for dumplings. If the side vegetable contains lots of water for example chive, cabbage or fennel, add some oil firstly before mixing with the meat filling or adding salt can help to prevent loosing the water.
Add water into meat filling and stir in one direction until the water is absorbed. And then repeat the process twice, which means we need to add water to the filling three times(not too much one time).For the amount, I recommend adding 1 tablespoon of water for 250g meat filling. However the water amounts in different types of meat might differ, so the basic principle is adding water to the meat filling until it cannot absorb any water anymore.
However you can just add egg liquid instead of water for example pot-sticker .
Mix with any side vegetables as well as seasonings (ginger, scallion, salt, pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, spicy powders) and then stir in one direction too until all of the ingredients get combined. Ginger and scallion can be added in previous step in the form of ginger and scallion water. Soaking minced ginger and scallion with warm water to make basic ginger and scallion water.
This is the filling for today’s recipe. I use celery, dried shitake mushrooms and carrots with Chinese five spicy powder as main seasonings.
Some other inspirations:
Chive and Pork dumplings : with chive and minced pork as filling
Corn and shrimp dumpling: with sweetcorn and shrimp as filling
Celery pork dumpling : with celery and minced pork
Beef wonton–beef filling : with ground beef and water chestnuts
How to fold dumplings
There are many ways to fold dumplings. You can choose your own way or follow the tutorial below to make the little moon shaped dumplings.
In step 1, spoon some stuffing to put in the middle of the wrapper in the left hand. Moisten one edge with some water so that the edges can be pressed firmly
In step 2, fold one side of the wrapper against the other. Press the center together.
In step 3 , began to make the first pleats on the right.
In step 4, the second pleats.
In step 5, I show you how it look like after two pleats are made.
In step 6, repeat this on the left side and get a nice shaped little moon dumpling.
And here is a quick way to fold dumplings–Using a dumpling presser as below.
How to cook dumplings
Dumplings can be pan-fried—Pot sticker
Dumplings can be boiled–celery pork dumpling
Dumplings can be steamed—dim sum shrimp dumplings and today’s recipe.
Dumplings can be served with pure vinegar, or chili oil sauce (chili oil, sesame oil, salt, spring onions).
- dried seaw for decoration
- 300g flour
- 150g water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300g ground pork
- 1 small section of carrots, finely chopped
- 3 large dried shitake mushrooms; soaked in clean water previously
- 2 celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 inch root ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spicy powder
- 2 spring onions, chopped, finely chopped
- Make wrappers according to the instructions above or just purchase one small package of dumpling wrapper.
- Add water into meat filling with grated ginger and spring onions and five spicy powder. Stir-fry in one direction until the water is absorbed.
- And then mix with carrots, celery, dried mushrooms and add salt, sesame oil then stir in one direction too until all of the ingredients get combined.
- Wrap the dumplings one by one and then put in your steamer to steam for around 15 minutes.
- Transfer out, garnish some chopped onions and dried seaw powder for decoration if you like. Or serve with vinegar, chili oil etc.