Almond tofu is a common and popular Chinese dessert in hot summer. It can be considered as the Chinese version of panna cotta. However Chinese almond tofu is healthier since there is no heavy cream included. Almond tofu in Chinese is 杏仁豆腐 (xing ren tou fu). It is a popular dessert in many provinces especially in Hong Kong and Beijing. It is also referred to almond jelly The recipe differs slightly from places in China. However the common ingredients are all similar for example almond, sugar, agar etc.
Chinese Almond tofu can be vegan friendly if milk is replaced by soy milk or almond milk. For the almond, Chinese bitter almond is recommended for reducing the hot of the body in summer hot days. There is an important ingredient named as agar agar in the following recipe. It is vegan friendly and you can powder from NOW Foods Agar Powder, Pure, 2 Ounce Bottle. I use strip but powder function the same.
You can either choose to make fresh almond at home or use almond powder directly. Soak the agar in clean water for around 10 minutes until double in size. Transfer the soaked agar in pot, add water and sugar. Heat to dissolve.Agar can be replaced by Gelatine.
Filter the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and transfer the mixture to a container or several small containers. Set aside to cool down and then put the container in refrigerator for around 2 hours to cold.
Cut the cold mixture into small cubes and serve with jam, fruit or……
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup of unsweetened soymilk (or milk)
- 3~4g of agar strips
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoons crystal sugar or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon sweet-scented osmanthus
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- If you use almond directly, soak the almond with clean water for around 2 to 3 hours until soft. If you use almond flour, mix the flour with water to make almond milk.
- Transfer soaked almond and add enough water together in soy milk maker or food processor to make almond milk.
- In a small bowl, soak the agar strips with water to cover and soak for 10 minutes. Then discard the soaking water and transfer the agar strips to a pot, add sugar and 1 cup of water; Heat until dissolve and completely melted.
- Place milk, almond milk in the pot, brings all the content to a boiling with slow fire. Continue stirring in the process until all the ingredients are mixed and well combined.
- Filter the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and transfer the mixture into a large container or some small containers. Remove any bubbles floating on top. Set aside to cool down.
- Keep in fridge until cold and then cut into cubes. Serve with jam, fresh fruits or sweet-scented osmanthus.
The amount can make two bowls of almond tofu cubes like the bowl in the picture. Increase the amount accordingly if needed.