Bubble tea (Bubble Milk Tea) is the most popular daily street drink in China especially among young girls. In almost shopping centers in main Chinese cities, you will find at least on bubble tea drink store and lots of young girls holding a cup of bubble tea.
Originated from Taiwan in the 1980’s, Bubble tea is also named as peal milk tea, boba tea or tapioca ball tea. Basically, bubble tea is a tea-based drink that usually contains a mixture with milk, fruit flavor and tea base. Now the sellers sometimes add other ingredients for extra flavor.
Making an excellent bubble tea at home is not difficult as long as the ingredients are available.
Let’s meat the small pearls. They are the bubble of this drink. Pearls are made from tapioca with different colors. Before packing, they are mixed with sugar syrup; as a result, you can still feel the sweet taste after mixing with the tea base. For homemade version, I would recommend soaking them in honey water or syrup at home.
This is the pictures of tapioca pearls before cooking and after cooking. Just follow the instructions on the package.
You can try to buy boba pearls in Asian stores or even to make some at home. They can be red, black or white depending on the sugar used.
This is a very lovely drink for good afternoon time. Besides, you can also add other flavoring like fruit or use green tea or matcha powder instead of black tea bag. Just play around and find your own favorite flavor.
The Pearl used in this recipe can be bought from Amazon: BLACK BUBBLE TEA BOBA TAPIOCA PEARL 2.2LB
- 1 cup dried boba tapioca peals
- 2 tablespoons honey+ 1 tablespoon warm water for soaking the peals.
- 4 bags tea, one for each serving
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar or as needed
- 2 cups milk
- Cook the tapioca pearls with enough water in a large pot for around 15 minutes or as told on the package. Then turn off the fire and soak them for another 30 minutes with honey water. Transfer out and drain.
- Boil 2 cups of water in another pot; place the tea bag in to cook for around 2 minutes. Add milk and sugar. Combine everything well. Remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into serving cups and add cooked tapioca pearls before serving.