Healthy Chinese five color or even more veg fried rice; perfect for breakfast and hurry dinners.
For our Chinese, fried rice is as the same popularly as steamed rice. We fried rice with various types of other ingredients like seasonal vegetables, egg, and sometimes pork, beef, chicken etc. I have to be honest that I love them all especially this basic egg fried rice, I have ate them thousands of times at home.
Recently a Chinese nutritionist pointed out that we should eat at least 20 types of foods per day. Ok, that sounds quite interesting and as a foodie, I cannot agree more. In fact, this veg fried rice has been popular in China for quite a long time, sometimes we call this as five color fried rice. Usually five seasonal vegetables or even more are added for flavor and nutrition. I use mushrooms, bok choy, carrot, corns and purple cabbage. The following vegetables are also suggested: green peas, celery and cabbage.
Here are some tips for perfect veg fried rice;
The rice I am using in this recipe is leftover rice (refrigerated overnight) but not especially made for fried rice. If you plan to make fried rice, it is really important to avoid overcooking and too much water. Before frying, separate the rice.
Besides, I suggest cooking some of the ingredients like carrot cubes and purple cabbage in boiling water for around 1 minute, which can make sure they can be well cooked.
Veg Fried Rice
- 2 cups leftover rice or steamed rice
- ¼ cup carrot dice
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup diced purple cabbage
- ½ cup Bok Choy , you can use celery to replace it
- 4 pre-soaked mushrooms , diced
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- Cook carrot and purple cabbage in boiling water for around 1 minute. Transfer out and drain.
- Heat up ½ tablespoon cooking oil in wok and then fry mushrooms for around 1 minute. Add leftover rice, carrot and corn. Give a big stir-fry until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add light soy sauce, salt and then Bok Choy. Fry for around 20-30 seconds until well combined.
- Serve hot better with soups.