Common and quick egg drop soup with oyster mushroom. Various egg drop soups are highly popular on Chinese daily dinner table. The Chinese name of this group of soup is 蛋(dàn)花(huā)汤(tāng), literally means egg flower soup. The English egg drop is describing the egg dropping process. When whisked egg is dropped into boiling water or soup, it creates large or small swirls (described as flowers by Chinese people) in the soup. The stirring speed actually determines the size of your egg flowers. Slower speed brings larger egg flower while quicker speed brings smaller egg flowers.
There are many versions besides the famous Restaurants style chicken broth egg drops soup. Homemade versions usually are much milder and healthier. You can use tomato, corn, chicken soup, dried seaweed and oyster mushrooms. Oyster mushroom tastes quite good in soups even with pure water.
Egg Flower Soup with Oyster Mushroom
- 150 g fresh oyster mushroom , hard end removed and then separated
- 2 green onion , chopped
- pinch of salt
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 egg , whisked
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 -6 cups water or stock
- Heat oil in a pot or wok, and then fry the oyster mushroom for around 30 seconds until slightly soft.
- Pour water or stock in along with ginger slices. Bring to boil and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn up the fire and pour the whisked egg in. At the same time, stir the soup with a scoop either quickly or slowly. When the egg flour is formed, turn off the fire. Add sesame oil and pinch of salt, and then combine well.
- Serve with chopped green onions.