Skewers are perfect snack for world cup. Chicken skewer, lamb skewer and beef skewer etc. Recently my family is additive to those yummy skewers (mostly from street food providers). I love street snack food because they are so appealing and inviting. However I never indulge in them because I am always worrying about the weird ingredients that might be unhealthy.
I have tasted this recipe in yesterday night when watching the football games. Grilling is really interesting in hot weather especially in night with cool breeze. Recipe introduced today uses char siu sauce. In fact the experiment with sha cha sauce also turns out great (with chili powders, taste similar to satay chicken skewers).
Char siu sauce is one of the most popular sauces in Chinese Cantonese cuisine, while sha cha sauce enjoys higher popularity in Fujian cuisine. For more information about common Chinese sauces, check this post: Chinese sauces-guide to basic Chinese cooking.
Basically there is no need to add extra sauce since char Sui sauce is combined. However you can also add siracha sauce for some spicy taste. Marinade the chicken cubes in refrigerator helps to flavor. Usually I make the preparation after lunch, which gives abundant time for marinating.
Char Siu Chicken Skewers
- 300 g boneless chicken meat , chicken breast or thigh without bone will be ok
- 1 carrot
- 1 large size red onion
- 2 round green pepper
- 1.5 tablespoon char siu sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tablespoon char sui sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Drain the chicken meat and then cut into small chunks around 4 cm.
- Cut half of the onion, green pepper and carrot into small pieces to match with the chicken and then chop the left half red onion.
- In a large bowl, mix one egg white, char siu sauce, light soy sauce, salt and sugar with chicken meat. Then mix with chopped red onion. Put in refrigerator to marinate for around 1 to 2 hours (longer time is highly recommended for a stronger and more combined taste)
- Soak the wood skewers firstly and the place the marinated chicken meat (meat only,discard the chopped red onion and left marinating sauce)with carrots, green peppers and onion slices.
- Preheat the grill to medium or high heat. Brushing some oil to coat the grill, grill for around 12 minutes. Turn over from time to time.
- In a small bowl, mix light soy sauce, char siu sauce and honey and brush the sauce evenly on the skewers at the very end of grilling process.
- Garnish with roasted sesame seed prior to serving.