Homemade spicy version of Chinese black bean sauce uses fermented black beans, peanuts, sesame seeds and garlic with an amazingly yummy taste. We call it spicy and aromatic black bean sauce (香辣豆豉酱).
If you ask me about my favorite seasonings, I would put fermented black bean in the first place followed by Sichuan Doubanjiang. Fermented beans enjoy a high popularity inside China. Besides, fermented black beans, we also have homemade fermented soy beans. The later one was one of the common appetizers in my grandmother’s dinner table. Each year, she made large jars of Sichuan pickled vegetables, fermented soy beans and doubanjiang. We would bring large bags of food after each visiting.
There are many famous black bean sauces available on Asian market like Laoganma black bean sauce and other brands. The version I shared today is a special version my mother named as “rice suffer” literally means that if you get this black bean sauce, then your rice will be consumed quickly. This is the very basic version and you can definitely add some mushrooms, even beef, chicken to this sauce. Just make sure that each ingredient needs to be fried to dry before mixing to the sauce.
Fermented black bean, in Chinese Traditional Medicine is a food with medicinal benefits. But for me, I care about the taste mostly.
Tips for the garlic cloves: I would not recommend smash the garlic clove. Finely chop it to similar size otherwise some of them might be burnt during frying process.
Tips for keeping: this black bean sauce can be kept for several months as long as the content is soaked with oil.
Recipes you can apply this sauce:
Black Bean Sauce—Homemade Spicy Version
- 1 cup fermented black bean
- ½ cup finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Stir fry the fermented black bean in pan without oil for around 1 to 2 minutes until they are separated from each other. Transfer out.
- Pour around 1 cup of vegetable oil in wok or pan; add chopped garlic cloves to stir fry over medium fire until you can smell the aroma. Add fried fermented black beans. Use slow fire to continue frying for 5~8 minutes.
- Add roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, chili pepper powder and Chinese five spice powder in. Mix well.
- Add sugar and light soy sauce in. Combine well. Remove from fire to cool down.
- Transfer to airtight container for around 1 or 2 days so all the ingredients can combine well.
- Serve directly as appetizers, with steamed rice or apply in recipes.
- This yummy black bean sauce can be kept for months in airtight container if the content is well soaked with oil.
- If you want to add mushrooms, chicken or beef, do deep-frying or roast them to remove the water.