Today I will introduce a new member of hot pot family–spicy chicken hot pot. Along with the development of hot pot in ingredients and cooking processing, there are different types of hot pot with chicken as main meat ingredients. We all know that many hot pot soup bases need the stock which is cooked for a relatively long time with chicken. In case our dear reader want more about hot pot, please check my page hot pot introducing the culture, types and some history background of hot pot. And to save time, you can use Little Sheep Hot Pot Soup Base (Hot), 235-Grams (Pack of 5) to replace the spices mentioned in this post.
The cooking method in general is similar with traditional hot pot. And it is featured by the bright color, aroma as well as the spicy taste.
Compared with traditional spicy hot pot, this type has a more heavy taste of chicken, giving the vegetables and other side ingredients cooked in stronger aroma.
I strong recommend cook a clear soup base firstly according to the guideline about how to make soup base broth at home.
Below is a picture showing the preparation of the spices and chicken.
Put the chicken cubes into the wok to stir-fry with the spices.
Add clear soup base into wok , then add scallion section to start the simmering process about 20 minutes. If no clear soup base is made, just add hot water and increase the simmering time to at least 30 minutes.
Doubanjiang–Sichuan / Pixian / Pi Xian Broad Bean Paste 16OZ (454g) I high recommend using Pi’xian Doubanjiang rather than red oil doubanjiang for making this hot pot.
Nice Sichuan Spicy Chicken Hot Pot
- One pound chicken, add more chicken feet or wings or any other parts you like
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large pig bones
- 1 tablespoon broad bean paste (Doubanjiang)
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan Peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon dried chili pepper
- Several star anises
- Several chunks of cassia bark
- ½ teaspoon of fennel
- Several cloves of garlic sliced
- One small section of ginger sliced
- 3 teaspoon salt
- Sesame oil
- Chicken essence
- Cut the chicken into large chunks. Clean chicken chunks, and pig bones.
- Prepare a pot or wok with enough water. Bring the water to a boiling. And add chicken and pig bones in. Turn down the fire and cook the blood water out.
- Get the meat ingredients out. Wash the wok. And add some enough water. Return pig bones back.
- Bring all the content to a boiling and then turn down the fire to simmer for around 40 minutes.
- Cut the chicken rinsed into small cubes when it is cool down. Prepare other side ingredients according to your own preference.
- Then prepare another wok or firstly move the content in last step to another container to heat some vegetable oil. Add ginger and garlic to stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Then add doubanjiang to stir fry until you can smell the taste. Then add star anise, fennel, cassia bank, chili pepper, Sichuan peppercorn in for about 1 minute.
- Add the soup base make in above steps in, add 3 teaspoon of salt and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add sesame oil, chopped scallions, and mashed garlic, salt and chicken essence in to make separate saucers to make dips.
- Enjoy with the enjoyers!!
If you do not want to make the clear soup base, skin related steps and just pour some water after stir-fry the spices. But the simmering time should be increased to at least 30 minutes.