Ginger scallion noodle is a really humble and common dish in Chinese daily cooking. It belongs to the lo mein series. And the key to the perfect ginger scallion noodles is to boil your own scallion oil at home.
How to make scallion oil at home.
Scallion oil (葱油)is a nice and important seasoning for noodle recipes and cold dishes. Usually, we buy chili oil and Sichuan Peppercorn oil with bottles in supermarket. However I also want to try making those seasonings at home. Around 20 years ago, we make all daily condiments and seasoning with the plants in the yard.
During the process of making the scallion oil, the amoral almost fills in the whole kitchen. The best ingredients for this all-purpose seasoning oil are scallions with red stem and onion.The final taste depends on the amount of the scallions and oil. If you want stronger taste, increase the amount of scallions to 1 and half pound.
- 2 cups vegetable oil peanut oil or corn oil
- 2 bunches of scallions (around 1 pound)
- Half of a fresh onion middle size
- 6~8 whole garlic cloves
Wash the scallions and onion and then cut into small sections around 8 cm long. Drain the waters on the surface.Heat up oil in wok around 30 seconds.When the oil becomes warm, add scallions and onions in. Stir-fry continuously during the process.When the scallions and onions become soft, lower the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes. Toss from time to time to avoid burn.
Do remember to drain the water otherwise the oil might splash during the simmer process.
Filter the scallion and onion out and get the pour oil. Set aside to cool down.Keep the oil in class jar with a lid and put into your freezer for further use.
Then we prepare the cooked noodle and ginger sauce. I use common Chinese chow mein-fired egg noodles. You can use fresh noodles too. However if fresh noodles are used, blend them in pure water so that they will not stick together.
Mix Well, garnish the spring onion and enjoy!
- 1/2 pound fresh noodle or 1/4 pound dried egg noodles
- 1 root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion
- 1 scallion, shredded (you can replace with cucumber or zucchini)
- 1 middle size purple onion
- 1 shallot
- 2 scallions
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 cups peanut oil
- Wash the scallions and onion and then cut into small sections around 8 cm long. Drain the waters on the surface.
- Heat up oil in wok around 30 seconds. When the oil becomes warm, add scallions and onions in. Stir-fry continuously during the process.
- When the scallions and onions become soft, lower the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes. Toss from time to time to avoid burn.
- Filter the scallion and onion out and get the pour oil. Set aside to cool down.
- Then finely chop the ginger and soak with boiled water. Add 1 teaspoon light soy sauce, 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce and 1 teaspoon salt to make the basic ginger sauce.
- Boil the noodles in boiling water for around 5 minutes. Add some scallion shreds at the last minute.
- Add ginger sauce and around 1/2 tablespoon scallion oil and mix well.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onion on top and enjoy!
Thanks for visiting!