I love wonton especially in cold morning. This is a super easy beef wonton recipe with video.
In China, wonton has different variations. In Sichuan province, spicy wonton soup is a famous street food and wontons are always in small size, while in Shanghai, wontons are bigger.
Different kinds of stuffing also influence the taste. And wonton with beef stuffing has a unique flavor with spicy sauces.
Compared with pork, beef is chewier. So in order to make the taste daintier, we always add other stem vegetables in the stuffing for example lotus root and water chestnut. I use water chestnut today. It has a slightly crispy and sweet taste. If you ever tried to make traditional lion heard, you may hear of Chinese water chestnut which is also known as water caltrop. With unpeeled, water chestnuts can be kept around 2 weeks in freezers. Once peeled, the surface will be oxidized quickly. So I recommend peeling it just before cooking.
The sweet taste of the water chestnuts matches well with the chewier beef, which gives the wonton its own flavor. So if you do not like spicy soup, just use clear soup simply with chopped spring onions, salt and some chicken powder.
In case, you may be interested to make homemade wonton wrappers at home, check this post and video.
- 250 g ground beef
- 1-inch root ginger chopped
- 3~5 fresh water chestnut—peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Bok choy as needed
- coriander as needed
- chopped spring onions as needed
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chicken essence
- 2 teaspoons chili oil (optional)
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef and then add salt and five spicy powders in and mix evenly. In one direction please.
- Then add around 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in, and then continue to stir in one direction. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Chop the peeled ginger and peeled water chestnuts into small pieces.
- Mix ginger and water chestnuts with beef to make the meat stuffing.
- Fold wontons one by one. Prepare serving bowls and mix all the ingredients for sauces.
- Bring a pot with water to a boiling and then put the wontons in to cook for around 2 minutes. Add bok choy in.
- Scoop the boiling water to the serving bowls to make the soup base and then get the wontons out. Sprinkle some chopped spring onion and coriander.
You may also check my pork wonton soup recipe.