Easy Chinese soy sauce chicken with only several ingredients and super easy steps!
Chinese soy sauce chicken is known as 豉油鸡 and it is a featured dish from Chinese Cantonese cuisine. I have been living in Guangdong province around 4 years and this soy sauce chicken is always on my take out list.
Firstly we need to get a whole chicken around 2 pounds, 6 garlic cloves,1 scallion and 10 thin slices of root ginger. If you do not like to cook the whole chicken, replace four Chicken leg quarters.
Peel and cut the garlic cloves into halves and then put garlic,scallion and ginger into the breast of the chicken.
Prepare another bowl; mix 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce, cooking wine and sugar together to make the marinating sauce. Pour the sauce on both sides of the chicken. The amount of dark soy sauce used can adjust the color. The large the amount of dark soy sauce used, the darker the final color will be. I do not use too much dark soy sauce and thus get a lighter color of my soy sauce chicken. You can use more dark soy sauce and reduce the amount of light soy sauce accordingly if you want a deeper color.
I also match the chicken with a dip using homemade scallion oil, if you need more about how to make homemade scallion oil, please refer to Ginger Scallion Noodles.
- 1 whole chicken around 2 pounds
- 2 inch root ginger sliced
- 1 scallion cut into small section
- 6 garlic cloves (cut into halves)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 scallion chopped for garnish
- 1 spring onion (finely chopped)
- 2 mashed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon scallion oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Clean the chicken carefully. Cut ginger into slices, garlic cloves into halves and scallion into small sections.
- Place ginger, cloves and scallion in the chest.
- In a small bowl, mix cooking wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar together. Pour the sauce on both the outside and inside of the chicken in a large bowl. Do a little message and make sure the sauce is spread evenly on both sides.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set aside for marinating around 2~4 hours (turn over once during the process).
- Then you can use microwave oven or electric rice cooker to cook the marinated chicken. For microwave, high fire and 12 minutes and for electric rice cooker, use rice function.
- Leave the chicken aside until totally cool down and cut into chunks to any size you prefer.(You can also use hand shred)
- Mix all the ingredients for garlic and scallion dip and serve together.
Do wait until the chicken is cooled down totally for smooth cutting edges.
Just for reference, if you can also use the traditional way to boil the chicken. Firstly stir-fry the ginger, cloves and scallions and then place the chicken in. Cook with low fire until the sauce are thickened and the chicken is coated with the sauce evenly.