Easy Chinese soy sauce chicken with only several ingredients and super easy steps!
Chinese soy sauce chicken is known as 豉油鸡 and it is a featured dish from Chinese Cantonese cuisine. I have been living in Guangdong province around 4 years and this soy sauce chicken is always on our dinner list. The traditional way uses boiling the whole chicken in water with relatively large amount of soy sauce.
One of the essential key step for this easy and brilliant chicken recipe is to purchase high quality soy sauce. In Chinese, we name this type of soy sauce as 豉油 but not common 酱油. By the way, we will also need dark soy sauce to adjust the color of the chicken. The more dark soy sauce, the darker the final chicken meat will be.
Firstly, remove the chicken feet and head, clean the main body. And then spread soy sauce evenly on the surface. Add ginger shreds and spring onion shreds to marinate for around 2 hours. Besides I cut one side of the whole chicken apart because I pan to cook it with a pan. If you are using a pot, you can just use a uncut whole chicken.
Prepare a pan, add dark soy sauce, soy sauce, green onion, star anise, ginger slices, bay leaves, chili peppers (optional), sesame oil and water in. Bring this to a boiling and then slide the chicken in. Be carefully during the process.
When the chicken is well colored, turn the fire to middle fire and cover the lid to cook for around 10 minutes until you can easily insert a chop sticker in. For chicken under 800 grams, 10 minutes will be enough.
Then turn up the fire to thicken the sauce. During the process, turn the chicken over twice and scoop the liquid to chicken meat if necessary. Then here we are!
Cool down a little bit before cutting and serving. Serve with steamed rice!
- 1 whole chicken under 800 g
- 1 inch root ginger, shredded
- 1 spring onion, cut into sections
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 inch root ginger, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup water (you might need to adjust the water amount if you are using a deeper pot)
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-5 star anises
- 3 dried chili peppers
- 1 spring onion
- 1 cinnamon bark
- Coriander for decorating
- steamed rice for serving
- Clean the chicken carefully. Set aside and drain.
- Spread soy sauce on both sides of the whole chicken and do a little message. Add ginger and spring onion shreds. Reset for 2 hours.
- In a sauce pan, add all the ingredients for simmer and discard the ginger and spring onion in marinating sauce and then pour the soy sauce back to pan too.
- Bring all the content to a boiling and then slide the chicken in. Be carefully about the hot sauce during the process.
- Cook for around 2 minutes until the chicken is slightly colored. Lower the fire to medium fire, cover your lid to cook for around 10 minutes or until you can easily insert a chop sticker in. Turn the chicken over twice during the process.
- Turn up the fire to chicken the sauce. Scoop the sauce and pour over the chicken to make sure it is evenly colored.
- Cool down slightly and then cut into chunks and serve with steamed rice.
Enjoy and happy cooking ahead! Besides, I would also like to recommend this Chinese steamed chicken with ginger and spring onion if you love tender chicken recipes.