Homemade smooth sweet red bean paste
Sweet red bean is one of the most important ingredients for Chinese dessert. Sometimes, they are wrapped up to make rice dumplings or steamed buns. Besides, it can also be used to make as red bean dessert directly. Besides, red bean can also be used to make TangShui–Red bean Soup.
I am making this for Chinese red bean buns. So I recommend adding a little bit more sugar in.
In the common Chinese way of making the sweet red bean paste, animal fat usually lard is added so the paste will have a more creamy texture. I use butter instead of lard since I do not have it in my kitchen and I guess the condition is almost the thing in your kitchen.
To make the perfect sweet red bean paste, those beans should be soaked in clean water at least 8 hours. And I high recommend soaking it overnight.
You can use pot or high-pressure cooker to cook the red bean. I use high-pressure cooker to save time.
When the red beans are cooked ready, we have two options for the following step. For a smoother taste, I use filter to separate the skins and the paste. However the skin is also healthier and you can just blend them together to a smooth consistency.
Then transfer the paste to a pan. Add sugar and butter in. Stir continually during the process until the sugar and butter is melt well and no exceeded water contained in the paste.
- 220g dried red beans (around 8 .oz)
- water as needed for boiling (around 3 cups)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil (28 to 30g)
- a tiny pinch of salt
- Wash the red beans and soak the dried red beans at least 8 hours or overnight. Longer soaking time can shorten the cooking time.
- Remove the floats on the surface. Add water and soaked red beans in a pot or high-pressure cooker. The water should be higher than the lever of soaked red beans around 4~5 minutes.
- Bring all the things to a boiling and then turn down the fire to simmer for around 1 hour until the red beans becomes soft. For high-pressure cooker, only 40 minutes are needed.
- If you want to have a smoother taste, filter the skins of red beans with filter screen and press the red beans with a scoop. Then the skins will be separated. Or transfer all the content to a food processor and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Transfer the paste to a pan. Add salt,sugar and butter in. Use low fire to simmer the exceeded water out. During the process, keep stirring the paste.
- Wait for the paste to cool down. This paste can be saved in refrigerated for around 2 weeks.
How to use this homemade red bean paste? Following are some ideas.
Homemade red bean buns–soft and sweet buns perfect for breakfast known as Dou Sha Bao.
Snow Skin Mooncake–Non-bake Snow Skin Mooncake. For the filling of Snow Skin Moon Cake, the paste should be drier than other filling.
Sesame balls— I received lots of requests concerning about a Chinese dessert with sesame balls on shell and red bean paste inside.
Mini sweet red bean buns–a transformation of Chinese steamed buns
Zongzi–Chinese sticky rice dumpling with red bean paste.