Chinese Tea Egg is a famous Chinese street food which is also known as marbled egg. Eggs are braised with spices and Chinese teas thus have a unique and strong tea flavor.
It is said that Chinese Tea Eggs is a featured snack in Taiwan. I have never visited Taiwan, thus I am not sure about it. However in the country where I am living, Chinese tea eggs are provided by street vendors and restaurants. In many convenience stores, those little tea eggs are also always provided. We eat this along with noodles and porridges or sometimes just a snack.
There are different flavors of Chinese tea eggs depending on the spice used. You can use Tieguanyin or red tea or black tea.I use pu-er tea this time. If you love to know more about Chinese tea, check here. Besides you can also use quail egg to replace normal eggs. The secret of the marble is the cracks on the shell, which can be achieved by You can a stainless spoon or a knife back. Try to make them even. When the flavor sauce intruded, the marble is formed.
If you love my video and want to see more video, go ahead and subscribe to my youtube channel. Happy cooking!
- 5 to 6 eggs
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon loose tea leaves or 2 tea bags
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce +1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rock sugar
- 3 pieces star anises
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
- 3 slices of ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt or as needed
- Wash the eggs carefully and then hard boil for 5-8 minutes with water covered in a deep pot.
- Transfer to cold water to cool down and then crack the eggs carefully.
- Reload the pot with clean water, add spices (bay leaves, star anises, cinnamon bark, ginger and Sichuan peppercorn). Bring to boil and then return the cracked eggs back.
- Simmer for 50 to 1 hour. The longer the time is, the better flavor you will get. Add pinch of salt and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and soak the eggs at least one hour or even overnight (in refrigerator).
- Peel off the shell or serve directly (the shell can prevent the eggs drying out).
If you want a spicy taste, add 3-4 dried chili pepper can help.