Shredded pork in hot garlic sauce also named as Yu Xiang Rou Si(鱼香肉丝) is one of the most outstanding dishes in the series of Yu Xiang besides Yu Xiang Qie Zi(鱼香茄子).
The dish is featured by the taste-fish fragrant. In fact, the sauce used in this shredded pork stir-fry recipe is known as Chinese garlic sauce on many menu of Chinese restaurants offering Sichuan dishes. Then you may wonder what’s the special fish-fragrant sauce? Does it come from the fish? The fish-fragrant sauce in fact does not come from fish. Then why it gets the name as Fish-fragrant? There are two reasons; firstly the sauce is firstly used to cook fish in common Sichuan people’s cooking time and the second should be the fish similar smell.
As I have introduced in previous Yu Xiang Qie Zi, the Chinese style hot garlic sauce is made with Sichuan pickled peppers, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and salt. If you failed to find pickled pepeprs, please replace it with fresh chili peppers or you can try to make those sichuan style pickled peppers at home by reading this post: pickled vegetable—sichuan style.
One of the most famous matches with shredded pork is black ear mushrooms and Lettuce stem. There are other versions using winter bamboo shoots or peppers. I used soaked wood ear mushroom, one small section of lettuce stem and long fresh peppers.
- 2 tablespoons of dried ear mushrooms
- ½ pound pork tenderloin
- 1 small section of lettuce stem
- 1 fresh red pepper
- 1 fresh green pepper
- 6~10 pickled peppers (or replace with fresh long red peppers)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch root ginger sliced
- 2 spring onion white parts (cut into small sections)
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion for garnish
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine (you can replace it with dry sherry wine )
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- If you use dried ear mushroom, please soak the dried ear mushrooms with clean water for 20 minutes.
- Shred the pork tenderloin and then marinade with salt, cooking wine and starch. Mix well and set aside.
- Shred the black ear mushrooms, lettuce steam and peppers into shreds in similar sizes too.
- Prepare another bowl, add all the ingredients for stir-fry sauce; mix well and set aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok; add shredded pork to stir-fry until the pork become white from pink. Move shredded pork out of the wok.
- Leave 1 tablespoons of oil in wok; add garlic, ginger and green onion to stir fry for the aroma. Then put side ingredients in to stir-fry for around 1 minute and then return the pork shreds.
- Add stir-fry sauce and do some stir-fry until the sauce is evenly coated on the ingredients.
- Move out from the wok and garnish some spring onions.