Nice! Comes to my favorite Sichuan dish again! Sichuan peppercorn chicken is a featured real Sichuan dish, which is mainly flavored with Sichuan peppercorn.
This special Chicken dish is named as Sichuan Peppercorn Chicken(花椒鸡), is quite popular only in western part of China. And you may find it in real Sichuan restaurants.
My mother grew a Sichuan peppercorn tree in the back golden and I treat it as a treasure. When the peppercorn is going to be mature, I just have the feeling that see the aroma from 1 meter away.
Possibly I need to introduce Sichuan Peppercorn a little bit more. Sichuan peppercorn(花椒huajiao In Chinese) sometimes also short as Sichuan pepper or Szechuan pepper, is one of the traditional Chinese medicines. It can help to create a numb feeling of your tongue. If you ever tried the Mala taste of Sichuan cuisine, then it is Sichuan peppercorn that brings the ma taste.
The cooking method of Sichuan peppercorn chicken is similar to mala chicken(辣子鸡丁). However more peppercorns are used for the main taste rather than dried chili peppers.
To make this yummy Sichuan peppercorn Chicken at home, firstly Sichuan peppercorn is needed.
You can see from the picture below, I am using the fresh green Sichuan Peppercorns. They has a unique and stronger taste than dried ones. If fresh peppercorn is really hard to find, you can replace them with dried Sichuan peppercorn (soaking them firstly around 10 minutes in warm water).
And for the treatment of the chicken, I marinade it firstly with the marinating sauce and then coat with cornstarch just before frying. This creates a crispy surface and super tender inner.
- 3 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorn (green ones are best)
- 4 chicken legs or 8.oz boneless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 round red pepper
- 1 scallion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 root ginger sliced
- 2 dried chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Half of egg white
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Cut the chicken thigh or boneless chicken breast into cubes around 2 cm. Marinate the cubes with marinating sauce. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for stir-fry sauce. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in wok. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with the chicken cubes just before deep-frying. Deep-fry the chicken cubes until the shape is firmed. Transfer the chicken cubes out and leave around 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil in wok.
- Add dried pepper and Sichuan peppercorn in to stir-fry until aroma. And then add garlic, ginger and scallion too. Stir-fry until you can smell the taste.
- Return fried chicken cubes back. Add stir-fry sauce and peppers. Mix well and serve hot!
If you are using dried Sichuan peppercorn, soak them with warm water around 20 minutes before cooking.