Chinese steamed buns is a main staple food in northern China and this Chinese sugar bun is a special member. Different traditional pork buns or buns, sugar is used as filling.
Originally, when there is extra wrappers, people will use sugar as the filling. Then it is figured out that sugar buns are also excellent in taste especially if the sugar is properly treated and mixed with stir-fried flour.
Besides the filling, those sugar buns are usually folded up as a triangle so it is also named as sugar triangle (糖三角) in Chinese.
There is nothing special for the dough, firstly we need to prepare basic dough for Chinese steamed buns, and I have introduced the detailed step in Chinese steamed buns.
Next step, we begin to make the filling.
Firstly, prepare a pan and scoop one tablespoon of flour in pan to stir-fry until it becomes slightly brown and you will smell the aroma.
And then mix the fried flour with brown sugar powders. There might be some chunks among the brown sugar, do break them down. Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds too.
The ratio between the flour and brown sugar should be 1:3 strictly then we will see a stagnant yet juicy filling after the buns are steamed.
To fold the special triangle, use the thumb and index finger of both hands simultaneously, press the wrapper to a basic triangle and then seal each side carefully.
See, how sweet and lovely it is.
- ½ tablespoon peanuts oil for brushing
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar powder
- ½ tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 1 packet instant yeast = 2¼ teaspoons
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 150g water
- Make a basic dough for Chinese steamed buns, instructions here. And then roll the small sections of the dough into small round wrappers.
- Heat up a pan and stir-fry 1 tablespoon flour until slightly brown. Use small fire during the process.
- Mix the fired flour with 3 tablespoons of brown sugar power and ½ tablespoon roasted sesame seeds.
- Scoop around ½ tablespoon filling in the center of wrapper. Use thumb and index finger to fold a triangle and then seal each side carefully.
- Brush some oil on the bottom of the assembled buns and place them one by one to your steamer.
- Set the steamer in wok and steam for around 10 minutes. Turn off the fire and wait another 5 minutes with patience and enjoy!