I was born in the western part of China where dumplings are not so popular in daily cooking. But we have a famous street food named as Zhong dumplings, which is actually Sichuan style spicy dumpling. Those dumplings have strong flavor and I do love them much.
Grown up, I am bought to all types of Chinese food and different featured dumplings have become one of my big advantages in kitchen. They are easy to make and delicious in taste.
With different cooking methods and stuffing, we have different types of dumplings. For example, we have steamed dumplings, pan-fried dumplings known as pot sticker, boiled dumplings and fried dumplings.
The stuffing has two versions in general, one is with meat and the other version is vegetarian. In additionally, we still have egg dumpling—with pan-fried eggs as the wrappers. Besides, we have different ways of folding dumplings. In daily life, we use little moon shape or easy cabbage dumpling shape, but in holidays, dumplings are always folded as fish or willow leaf. The spring festival is coming, and I will introduce those ways of folding dumplings in the recipes introducing dumplings next month. I really will be glad to share you my dear readers how nice those dumplings can be.
The dumpling introduced today is a simple type shrimp and corn dumpling. I just make two bowls for breakfast. So do double or triple the amount of ingredients as needed.
Only two main ingredients needed for the meat stuffing—chopped shrimp and corn.
Then add salt and black pepper with shrimp and corn to make the shrimp stuffing.
The reason why I match shrimp and corn is because I want to make a slightly sweet taste out of the dumplings. Both of the two main ingredients have sweet taste.
Shrimp and Corn Dumplings
- Dumpling wrappers as needed
- 100 g peeled prawns
- 100 g sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Laoganma Chili oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chicken essence
- Chop the peeled prawns and the corn.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for stuffing from one direction until 2~3 minutes or until you get a pasta texture. Put aside for around 10 minutes.
- Fold the dumplings as little moon shape: spoon one spoon of stuffing in the center of the wrapper in your left hand and then water the edges with some water. Press the center part together, and then fold some pleats according to your own like. Do press the two edges together.
- Heat up water in a pot to a boiling and then put the dumplings in. Add water once when the water is boiling just as cooking noodles.
- Move the dumplings out. Serve with dips. It is your eaters’ choice whether use dip or not.
Love dumplings, Check my pan-fried pot stickers with chive and pork as stuffing.