Sweet potato glass noodles stir fry with shredded cabbage-another super yummy and simple dish, easy to prepare but bring a big flavor.
Glass noodles also known as starch noodles are extremely popular since they have unique smooth texture comparing with regular wheat noodles.
In the previous ants climbing a tree, mung bean vermicelli is fried with minced beef. Vermicelli noodles (Cellophane noodles)are also known as glass noodles in Chinese. Usually, they are made from starch including mung bean starch, yams (like konjak, sweet potato and potato). For this recipe, you can use either sweet potato glass noodle or mung bean glass noodle. Sweet potato noodle is a more popular choice in Sichuan cuisine. Let's see how they look like.
To cook dried glass noodles, you need to pre-soak them either in cold water or warm water. Warm water can shorten the time. Usually the soaking process takes around 10-15 minutes with hot water. And drain them completely before frying.
Heat up cooking oil in wok; add garlic, ginger, green onion, dried pepper and Sichuan peppercorn to fry until aroma over slow fire. Do not get the garlic slices get burnt, otherwise the dish may come out slightly bitter. And then fry cabbage until slightly soft.
And soaked noodles and all the other seasonings. Gibe a big stir fry and transfer out immediately. Overcooking may break the noodles.
Glass Noodles Stir Fry with Shredded Cabbage
- Half of a cabbage , shredded
- 1 small bunch of glass noodles , I use sweet potato starch
- 1 green onion
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced
- 2 slices of ginger
- 2 dried chili pepper
- 10 whole Sichuan peppercorn seeds , optional
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1.5 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce , optional only for coloring
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar optional
- In a large bowl, soak the glass noodles with hot water until turns light or soft. Transfer out and drain.
- To shred the cabbage: remove the hard core and cut the half into shreds directly.
- Heat up cooking oil in wok; add garlic, ginger, green onion, dried pepper and Sichuan peppercorn to fry until aroma over slow fire.
- Place shredded cabbage to fry for around 1 minute until slightly soft.
- Add sweet potato starch along with salt, sugar and soy sauce. Fry for another minute and transfer out and serve hot.