Chinese cabbage salad with basic vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce is a very common salad in hot summers. We name it as “拌菜” which means mixing all the ingredients with simple seasoning. This should be something originated from Northern China, but enjoys a high popularity in different places.
The ingredients that can be used in this salad is customizable, usually cabbage, purple cabbage, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers are quite common ingredients. But you can add some noodles, spinach, zucchini or other vegetables you like.
For the cabbage part, there are two ways to deal with them: one is to blend in boiling water for just 10 minutes and the other is to pickle with salt for around 30 minutes. Either way is great! Chinese people usually do not eat raw food. However you can directly mixing the season soy with the raw veggies.
If you do not have rice vinegar at hand, you can just replace it with fresh lemon juice.
Chinese Cabbage Salad
- ½ large white cabbage , shredded
- ½ large purple cabbage , shredded
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 ~10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Blend white cabbage, purple cabbage, and bell peppers in boiling water for around 10 minutes. Transfer out and drain. Or just place them in a salad ball.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into two parts, place in the salad ball with lemon zest too.
- Place all the ingredients for dressing sauce in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Mix the sauce with other ingredients. Garnish some roasted sesame seeds. Place the bowl in refrigerator and enjoy after around 30 minutes.
You can also add some install Asian egg noodles if you like.