Thai coconut sticky rice with mango! I love the fresh taste of coconut absorbed by well-cooked sticky rice. And when it comes to Mango, I know my summer time is just on the corner.
Earlier summer and earlier autumn is my favorite times during the whole year. I love the cool times with lots of fresh fruits for example Mango. Mango is available for quite a long time thought out the year, however it tastes best in April.
This coconut sticky rice with mango, though not native to China, is enjoying a extremely popularity nowadays along with other Mango desserts like Mango Pomelo Sago. We have a dessert shop providing excellent summer cold dishes adapted from Thai cuisine or Taiwan cuisine. After eating this around one week ago with my father, I am totally amazed by the combination flavor of soft sticky rice, fresh coconut and sweet mango.
I adapted this recipe from Thai Table, using the traditional steaming method. I steamed the sticky rice firstly for around 15 minutes and then steamed another 15 minutes after adding coconut milk. The tips is to spread the sticky rice on a wide plate (reduce the time and make sure the sticky rice is well-cooked). Besides, I use some bamboo leaves at the bottom for adding some extra fresh flavor.
Recommended sticky rice for this recipe: Thai sticky rice.
Thai style coconut sticky rice with Mango
- 1 cup Thai sticky rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water or slightly more if needed
- 1 large mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- pinch of salt
- roasted black sesame seeds (for decoration)
- Wash the Thai sticky rice and then soak for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain and spread sticky rice on a wild plate layered with bamboo leaves or banana leaves (for adding some aroma, but you can use cloth too).
- Set up the steamer, and steam the sticky rice firstly for around 15 minutes until the sticky rice is almost done.
- During the first steaming, heat up coconut milk in a small pot. Add sugar and salt over slow fire. Stir slowly until the sugar is completely dissolved. Take 1/4 cup out for serving.
- Pour the 3/4 cup of the coconut milk along to sticky rice and continue steaming for around 15 minutes over medium fire.
- Cool down and transfer to serving plate. Pour the left 1/4 coconut milk on top and lay the mango cubes.
- You can also to decorate with some other colors like roasted black sesame seeds and peppermint leaves.
This recipe is adapted here where a microwave version is also introduced. Choose your favorite method.
If you like sticky rice the same as me, go ahead to check Chinese style sticky rice recipes too. I introduced two traditionally Chinese way for cooking sticky rice directly. And this is another interesting option: Zongzi.