Thai coconut sticky rice with mango! I love the fresh taste of coconut absorbed by well-cooked sticky rice. And when it comes to Mango, I know my summer time is just on the corner.
Earlier summer and earlier autumn is my favorite times during the whole year. I love the cool times with lots of fresh fruits for example Mango. Mango is available for quite a long time thought out the year, however it tastes best in April.
This coconut sticky rice with mango, though not native to China, is enjoying a extremely popularity nowadays along with other Mango desserts like Mango Pomelo Sago. We have a dessert shop providing excellent summer cold dishes adapted from Thai cuisine or Taiwan cuisine. After eating this around one week ago with my father, I am totally amazed by the combination flavor of soft sticky rice, fresh coconut and sweet mango.
I adapted this recipe from Thai Table, using the traditional steaming method. I steamed the sticky rice firstly for around 15 minutes and then steamed another 15 minutes after adding coconut milk. The tips is to spread the sticky rice on a wide plate (reduce the time and make sure the sticky rice is well-cooked). Besides, I use some bamboo leaves at the bottom for adding some extra fresh flavor.
Recommended sticky rice for this recipe: Thai sticky rice.
- 1 cup Thai sticky rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup water or slightly more if needed
- 1 large mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- pinch of salt
- roasted black sesame seeds (for decoration)
- Wash the Thai sticky rice and then soak for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain and spread sticky rice on a wild plate layered with bamboo leaves or banana leaves (for adding some aroma, but you can use cloth too).
- Set up the steamer, and steam the sticky rice firstly for around 15 minutes until the sticky rice is almost done.
- During the first steaming, heat up coconut milk in a small pot. Add sugar and salt over slow fire. Stir slowly until the sugar is completely dissolved. Take ¼ cup out for serving.
- Pour the ¾ cup of the coconut milk along to sticky rice and continue steaming for around 15 minutes over medium fire.
- Cool down and transfer to serving plate. Pour the left ¼ coconut milk on top and lay the mango cubes.
- You can also to decorate with some other colors like roasted black sesame seeds and peppermint leaves.
If you like sticky rice the same as me, go ahead to check Chinese style sticky rice recipes too. I introduced two traditionally Chinese way for cooking sticky rice directly. And this is another interesting option: Zongzi.