I love grilled fish or baked fish. In my hometown, there is a famous grilled fish named Chong Qing WanZhou grilled fish(万州烤鱼). This dish is an exact Sichuan dish. Whole fish is grilled with sauces made with Doubanjiang, garlic and Sichuan peppercorn.
I get my finger cut days before and thus failed to do complex cooking. Then I recall my memory the taste and make my own version of spicy grilled fish. I promise that it is excellent. So excellent that we eat the whole fish and all the vegetables up but still keen to have some.
If doubanjiang is available in your kitchen, then making this spicy fish is really simple.
Firstly, we need to pan-fry the sauce with doubanjiang, sichuan peppercorn, garlic and ginger slices. Then marinade the fish for about 1 hour. Then put it in oven to bake for abound 30 minutes with the temperature of 220 degree centigrade.
Grilled fish with spicy and garlic sauce made with Chinese doubanjiang, garlic sauce and sichuan peppercorns
- 1 whole fresh fish
- 10 Shitake mushroom
- 2~3 fresh chili peppers sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 handful coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon doubanjiang(chili bean paste)
- 1 tesaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 section of ginger sliced
- 1 tablespoon shallots sections
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Clean the fish. Cut several cuts on both sides of the fresh. Sprinkle some salt to add flavor to the meat inside.
- Wash all the vegetable ingredients listed above. In a large container, add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Cut fresh pepper and onions into slices as well as the Shitake mushrooms.
- Prepare a pan and heat up some cooking oil and then add garlic,shallots and ginger to stir fry until the aroma can be smelled. Then put doubanjiang and sichuan peppercorn in to stir-fry until the oil becomes red. Turn off the fire. Put the pan aside.
- Put the fish cleaned in the middle of ovenware, and then lay the vegetables around the fish.
- Pour the sauce made in above steps onto both sides of the fish. Marinade for around 1 hour.
- Sprinkle five spice powder and cumin powder on top.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degree centigrade; Oven 30 minutes.
- Get the ovenware out and sprinkle some coriander on top to add fresh aroma.
Vegetables can be replaced by others. Just cook with what’s in your kitchen and bear 30 minutes oven heat.