A popular Chinese style dessert—Small sticky rice balls over Mango smoothie. You will love the strong mango flavor along with the pure and cute small sticky rice balls.
Guys, I have been a mango girl in April, as I just published Thai style coconut mango sticky rice. Cooking is really magic to me! Sometimes we just use the same ingredients, but the final dish can be totally different! I use mango, coconut milk and sticky rice in both recipes. Similar ingredients, but the two dishes are quite different in texture.
Sticky rice balls are known as Tangyuan in Chinese, sometimes it is filled with savory or sweet fillings. In my hometown, we call the filled ones as Big Tangyuan and this version without filling as Xiao Tangyuan. Try this firstly, and if you fall in love with it accidentally, you can choose to make this traditional savory filling known as black sesame Tangyuan. Besides, there is another sweet dessert usually features mango, sticky rice and coconut, a lovely dessert known as Nuomici.
Small sticky rice balls over mango smoothie
- 2 large cooled ripe mangos, peeled and cubed
- Coconut milk as desired
- 1 cooled banana for adding some sweetness, peeled (optional)
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/3 cup+1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, mix glutinous rice flour with water. Knead several minutes to form dough. And then take a small portion; shape the portion into a small around ball (size should be similar to litter finger top). Or you can firstly take one third out and shape it into a thin long log for an equal segmentation. Anyway, use the most comfort way to make small around balls.
- To cook the balls, bring water to boil in a large pot. Cook until the sticky rice balls floating on the surface and then continue cooking for 30 seconds.
- Transfer them out and soak in iced water until completely cooled down (to make them more elastic). And then drain.
- Put 2/3 of the mango cubes and banana in your blender and add coconut milk(I do not list a specific amount because I cannot define the size of the mango, So adjust it according to your own experience. Blend until smooth.
- Lay the smoothie firstly and then add mango cubes and sticky rice balls. Enjoy!
If you make too many small sticky rice balls, coat them with extra sticky rice flour and freeze.