Scrambled eggs with tomatoes or egg tomato stir fry, tomato egg stir fry is a very popular comfort dish in common Chinese kitchen.
I can still remember the sour and sweet taste lasting during my childhood. My mother always cooked these simple scrambled eggs with tomatoes especially when she did not have too much time for dinner. This only 15 minutes side dish is a must for all foodie.
Personally, I love the scrambled eggs mostly in this recipe because after absorbing the sweet and sour juice of tomatoes, they are so yummy matching with steamed rice or noodles even buns and breads.
And just a funning story
When I was in university, there was a famous dish named as 番茄 stir fried with 西红柿. Actually it is Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes but scrambled eggs are almost missing. 番茄 and 西红柿 are just two Chinese names for tomatoes. Even though, I was still a fan of this dish, something developed from my earlier childhood. Each time after ordering this, my roommate would laugh that I was just eating 番茄 stir fried with 西红柿. But my version today is scrambled egg stir fried with tomatoes. That’s 100% for sure.
There are several versions in Chinese cuisines. Some call for just tomato, egg, green onion and salt, no sugar, no ketchup. But this really depends on your tomatoes. If they are really sour, then add some sugar can help balance the taste by reducing the sour taste of tomatoes and highlights the taste of scrambled eggs.
Besides, if you are lack of eggs or want your scrambled eggs to be chewier and fluffier, you can add around 1 tablespoons of cornstarch in the whisked egg. But if you like softer and more natural taste forget this tip and just go ahead.
For tomatoes, choose mature and juice ones, otherwise ketchup might be needed.
My version is juicy and tender. Do you like it?
- 2 middle size tomatoes
- 3 large eggs or 4 middle size ones
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 4 green onions cut white part into sections and finely chop the green part
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 and ¼ tablespoon cooking oil
- Add around ¼ tablespoon cooking oil, cornstarch (optional) and pinch of salt in cracked eggs. Whisk everything together until well-blended and set aside.
- Remove the skins (optional): soak the tomatoes in boiling water and remove the skin. Cut into wedges.
- Heat up ½ tablespoon of cooking oil, pour in egg. Stay for around 20 to 30 seconds until the eggs are shaped as large chunks. And then cut the egg cake into small pieces according to your own preference. Move out and set aside.
- Heat up ½ tablespoon of cooking oil; add tomato juices to fry over medium fire until you see tomato juice in your pan. Return egg chunks and white parts of green onions. Add salt and sugar. Slow your fire and mix everything well.
- Garnish some chopped green onion for decoration before serving.