Hot and sour soup (Suan La Tang)is a common dish popular in China especially in cold winter. Although there is a saying that hot and sour soup belongs to either to Sichuan cuisine or Hunan cuisine. I eat this hot and sour soup mostly in the years of living in the city of Xi’an and it surely can be found all around the country.
Personally hot and sour soup can be vegetarian or with meat. If you are eat meat, use stock and add some chicken meat, ham sausage or seafood in this recipe.
There are several tips for making perfect hot and sour soup at home.
We had better use fresh grounded black pepper powder. And stock is highly recommended no matter bone stock or chicken stock.
Vinegar and pepper powder should be added after the fire is turned off because the vinegar might be volatilized by long time of cooking and thus reduce the taste.
There are several essential ingredients for hot and sour soup: tofu, shitake mushroom, wood ear mushrooms, egg, spring onions and carrots or chili peppers. You see we get five colors for this yummy and warm soup. Besides you can add other ingredients if you like for example green beans, meat or fish.
For shitake mushroom, either dried mushroom or fresh mushroom can be used. Dried mushroom usually gives a stronger taste while fresh one gives smooth taste.
Prepare all the ingredient and cut them into shreds.
Cook ham, chili pepper, wood ear mushroom firstly and then add tofu slices in. Pour the egg in and stir with a chop sticker and then water starch. Cook until the soup becomes thick.
- 1 box of fresh tofu
- 4 dried shiitake mushroom
- 6 wood ear mushrooms
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 ham sausage or chicken leg
- 2 middle size eggs beaten
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 4 corianders chopped
- 3 cups of water or stock
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 dashes black pepper powder
- pinch of salt as needed
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- Cut tofu, chili pepper and ham sausage into shreds. Soak the dried mushroom and dried wood ear mushroom in clean water and then cut into shreds.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Bring water or stock to a boiling in wok.
- Add mushrooms, wood ear and ham to cook for around 3 minutes.
- Add tofu shreds in and succeeded with light soy sauce, cooking wine and salt.
- Pour in beaten eggs in wok too; stir with a scoop or chop stickers.
- Add water starch in and cook until the soup becomes thick. Stir the soup occasionally.
- Turn off the fire and add vinegar, black pepper powder and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Garnish chopped coriander and chopped spring onions.