I love home style tofu very much, just the same as I love Mapo tofu, my favorite sichuan tofu dish. Chinese people eat lots of tofu. So what is tofu? In general, tofu is a kind of product made from soy milk after removing the water or liquid contained. I guess the concept behind tofu is similar to cheese. Now tofu is quite popular not only in China but also in other Asian countries.
In the eating culture of china, tofu takes an important role. It shows how Chinese people love food and makes advantage of what they get on hand—soy beans.
Some people think that tofu is plain and tasteless. Then in my opinion, tofu is one of the most delicious foods as long as it is cooked properly.
Home style tofu I made today is an everyday dish in Chinese family and that why it is called home style tofu(家常豆腐) Firstly, tofu is pan fried in order to make a meat like texture, and then generally mushrooms or other vegetables are added in stir-fry with the famous Doubanjiang or Chili Bean Paste from Sichuan cuisine. I do not get wood ear mushroom today, thus I use green peppers and carrots to replace the vegetable part.
Kitchen just needs creation!!
But if you do have some wood ear mushroom, keep along with it. Besides, tofu has different varieties and textures. If you want to know more, check my post tofu. And the tofu used today is regular tofu. I do not recommend soft tofu since we need to pan fry it firstly and I just do not want it to be easy to break.
And this is a vegan homestyle tofu, if meat is our prefer, then we can add ground pork or beef.
- 1 block regular tofu
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 green chili pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 ginger slices
- 1 scallions white part only chopped into rounds
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon doubanjiang
- Drain the block of tofu and cut them into thick strips about 10 cm long and 3 cm width.
- Heat up some oil in pan, and put the tofu in until one side is golden. Turn over to make the other side become golden too. Then move the strips out.
- Prepare another clean pan, add oil, ginger, garlic and chopped scallions in to stir-fry for around 1 minute. Then add doubanjiang in to continue until we can semll the aroma. The process is around 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and green pepper in to fry for 2 minute and then the pan-fried tofu strips. Add salt, cooking wine, light soy sauce in to cook with slow fire until the sauce become thick.
- Move out and sprinkle some scallions!
I love this vegan version of home style tofu. Be free to add other meat ingredients if necessary.